Wedding Invitations & Paper

How do you write this on an address?

To guests living in Washington, D.C.

Washington, District of Columbia and zip code??? or just Washington, D.C.?

Re: How do you write this on an address?

• Washington = city
    District of Columbia = state
    zip = zip

All three are required by the post office.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Thanks, I worded my question very poorly.  What I was asking is, etiquette wise, do you spell out District of Columbia?  I'm assuming the answer is yes?
  • I live in the DC area and I've never seen "DC" spelled out on an address (plus, I'm pretty sure it'd take up the entire envelope, haha).  I think you're ok just putting DC on the invite. 
  • My wedding is in DC, so on the invite I wrote Washington, District of Columbia.  I have very few guests who actually live in DC, so for the few that do, I wrote it out the same way and wrote the zip underneath. 

• Yes, you should write it out just like a state.  And, the zip should always be on a separate line underneath for wedding invitations.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • The zip code should be on a different line?  Could you tell me where I can read more about this since it's the first time I've ever heard that.
  • It's because the city, state, zip all on one line, all written out, is often longer than the envelope allows.  And somehow. . . that just became the "rule."  It's in my Emily Post Weddings book, but I'm not scanning that.  :)  Crane's online reference really isn't explicit, but does note the reasoning.

http://www.crane.com/navContentProduct.aspx?NavName=Etiquette_Tips&DeptName=Etiquette_Wedding&Name=WedEt_AddressingEnvelope

Generally, the zip is by itself, and has a space between the numbers.

123 Sesame Street
    Washington, DC, 12345

becomes

123 Sesame Street
    Washington, District of Columbia
    1  2  3  4  5

The spacing just helps balance that short line better visually.

DIY & Planning | Married 

• I had read if the city and state were too long it was ok to put the zip code on the next line, but generally it's on one line.

I called the lady at Crane's here in Tampa who's helping with my wedding and she said to do it all on one line unless there isn't enough room.  That's good enough for me.  If that's the only thing I do that's questionable, I'm having a good day.  :D

squirrly, thanks for the explanation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_write-this-address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:cd9e390b-2661-4834-a29e-08f9f04865c4Post:2a306525-8d81-4463-82da-3fd62f8cd56c">Re: How do you write this on an address?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, you should write it out just like a state.  And, the zip should always be on a separate line underneath for wedding invitations.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Actually, DC Is the one "state" that can be abbreviated per every etiquette site I've seen.

Also, don't put the zip underneath unless A) you like the look, or B) it doesn't fit on one line. The post office isn't a big fan of it.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards