Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Bilingual inviations

Hello everyone!

My fiancé is Italian and we live in Italy--I'm a US American expat.  We're planning a wedding for September of next year and I'm having a bit of a dillema with the invitations.  His family (huge, 100+ people) expects a traditionally worded and presented invitation.  The Italian wording is very concise so I was thinking of just adding the English translation on a line underneath...it would look a little like:

(name)                                                                 (name)
          annunciano con gioia il loro matrimonio
are delighted to announce their upcoming marriage

10 settembre 2011, ore 11

alla Chiesa di ..... in Viterbo
         at the church of ... in Viterbo

Should I spell out the date, "september the tenth etc." or is it understandable?  The Italian wording is so very different than the English-speaking convention, perhaps it's better to print two separate sets, one for my family and one for his?

Thank you for your help!!
Visit Italian.weddings.com

Re: Bilingual inviations

• Options
    I like it the way you have it.  I think the "11 september 2011" is clear.  The only thing I think might need clarification is the " ore 11" - you might want to put 11:00 or 11h00 or something so people realize that that is the time it starts at.

I don't think it's necessary to print two sets - your families will know that both Italian and English are required to give your guests all the information and I actually think it looks nice together.
  • Options
    I voted for the bi-fold card, I think it will have a cleaner look.  Having both languages on the same panel will just look cluttered.  I agree that you shouldn't need to print up two sets of invitations, though if you're having a lot of inserts, you might want to have two sets of those printed up.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I did two separate invitations (one in English, one is Spanish) because it was easier to order that way, but I voted for the bi-fold card. That's what I'll be doing for other things like the programs or menus which I'll make myself. I agree with PP- the bi-fold card will look cleaner and less cluttered.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards