Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

STDs: When to send?

Hey everyone,
I am getting married next December (12/6/13) and was wondering if I could get an opinion on when I want to send my STDs. 
I was thinking the first week of February.  Even though this is 10 months in advance, I want to make sure I provide enough time for holiday plans/travel/time off of work.  Also, a lot of our guests will be travelling to come to our wedding.
Do you think this is way too early?  Or do you think that it would be okay to send them this early?

Thanks!

Re: STDs: When to send?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012

I would say wait until April.

Most people wouldn't be asking off of work & booking travel until at most 6 months in advance, anyways.

• Options
    Even if it is from another country?  Sorry I'm just super nervousand want everything to be perfect--especially because I'm meeting some of these people for the first time!
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    The reason you wait to send a STD is that STD=Wedding Invitation.

If you send them too early and...
    1. Your relationship with that person changes
    2. Your budget changes
    AND/OR
    3. Your venue/guest capacity changes

...you run into some major eitquette faux pas if you can't/don't invite individuals who received STDs.

If you have guests on overseas, you could give them a call to say hi and just casually let them know you picked a wedding date.

I highly doubt anyone would make travel arrangements much more than 6 months in advance.
  • Options
    Great! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_stds-when-to-send?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f9cea2c0-9904-4554-97fc-e71928c9d70dPost:c9ea9251-19af-46ed-800d-2fa0bdbe003b">Re: STDs: When to send?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason you wait to send a STD is that STD=Wedding Invitation. If you send them too early and... 1. Your relationship with that person changes 2. Your budget changes AND/OR 3. Your venue/guest capacity changes ...you run into some major eitquette faux pas if you can't/don't invite individuals who received STDs. If you have guests on overseas, you could give them a call to say hi and just casually let them know you picked a wedding date.<strong> I highly doubt anyone would make travel arrangements much more than 6 months in advance.</strong>
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

You don't want to do it too soon, but you also don't want to do it too late.  If people need more than 6 months notice to make sure they have free time, etc., then you should give them that time.  If you have lots of overseas or other guests coming who need a longer lead time, then I'd allow an extra 2 to 3 months.
  • Options
    I think sending your STDs 10 months before the wedding is fine and gives those who need the early notice plenty of time to book travel and plan for taking off work. I planned on sending our STDs out a year in advanced, especially for those who were out of the country, but I didn't end up doing it until 9 months out since we had decided by then not to invite anyone out of the country since my fiance's family said they wouldn't travel here anyway. We will be sending them wedding announcements instead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having a destination wedding so 6 months before is best.  Plus my invites are family and very close friends there are no iffies.  Since yours is around the holidays you should send early in case people decide to travel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards