June 2014 Weddings

Young Couple

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kristin. I always knew I would get married young. Once I found him, I was smitten. Being a young couple, I knew we would face a lot of scrutiny getting married so young. (I'll have graduated high school that same month. We'll be moving to State College two months later for school.) I've only talked to a few people about the wedding thus far because I hate confrontation and I can't stand not being taken seriously. There's always going to be someone who isn't happy with our decision to be married so young but we're not changing our plans just because we can't make everyone happy. Both of our immediate families are very supportive. There's a lot to plan and not a lot of time to do it! I guess it's time to get started!!! I have a general idea of our budget, we found our dream venue, and I have an idea of the dress that I want. A lot of my ideas are general. AH!!!! I'm hoping that you lovely ladies will give me some ideas and encouragement. Here's to the brides of 2014!

Re: Young Couple

• Good luck with your planning! I definitely understand facing scrutiny for marrying right out of high school, and college will be an interesting experience, as I only know of about 2-3 people at my college that are married. You are very young, but I'm not going to give you unsolicited opinions. And that's so great that your family is supportive! I'll be 22, which is young for our families, and for a long time people said we should wait until I was 27 (yeah, right), but everyone was so excited and supportive when we announced our engagement.

How long have you and FI been together? Do you know what you want to study in college? What style of wedding do you want?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_young-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:5e9e03ee-644d-4b08-9f30-e0ca53460087Post:ba6bd964-989f-493d-9b3f-1612661f90fb">Re: Young Couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck with your planning! I definitely understand facing scrutiny for marrying right out of high school, and college will be an interesting experience, as I only know of about 2-3 people at my college that are married. You are very young, but I'm not going to give you unsolicited opinions. And that's so great that your family is supportive! I'll be 22, which is young for our families, and for a long time people said we should wait until I was 27 (yeah, right), but everyone was so excited and supportive when we announced our engagement. How long have you and FI been together? Do you know what you want to study in college? What style of wedding do you want?
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the support! We've been together about two years in Feb. I'll be getting my RN then going for my midwifery degree. He will be a medical assistant by then:) We want an elegant, simple wedding. I haven't decided on a certain theme. I guess it's just going to be a mish mash of things that catch my attention.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_young-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:5e9e03ee-644d-4b08-9f30-e0ca53460087Post:63b4b352-a589-46b7-a82a-f8165517cd2c">Re: Young Couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Young Couple : Thank you for the support! We've been together about two years in Feb. I'll be getting my RN then going for my midwifery degree. He will be a medical assistant by then:) We want an elegant, simple wedding. I haven't decided on a certain theme. I guess it's just going to be a mish mash of things that catch my attention.
    Posted by xkristinannx[/QUOTE]
    Oh, that's so cool! I love midwives. Well, I don't actually know any, but I've read and heard about modern midwives and I think it's so cool you're getting a midwifery degree. How long is the schooling for that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • grats on the engagement im 22 so i feel ya on the young thing, some people still question how old i am and then they get this look on their face wheni tell them im engaged ...oh well ce la vie not their life :p
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_young-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:5e9e03ee-644d-4b08-9f30-e0ca53460087Post:29acd61a-5618-444c-8c45-f87255754396">Re: Young Couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Young Couple : Oh, that's so cool! I love midwives. Well, I don't actually know any, but I've read and heard about modern midwives and I think it's so cool you're getting a midwifery degree. How long is the schooling for that?
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]

The schooling takes 4 years for a nursing degree then another 2 years for the advanced midwife degree. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_young-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:5e9e03ee-644d-4b08-9f30-e0ca53460087Post:e81c6589-7465-44e8-8df4-1ef69a3f4753">Re: Young Couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]grats on the engagement im 22 so i feel ya on the young thing, some people still question how old i am and then they get this look on their face wheni tell them im engaged ...oh well ce la vie not their life :p
    Posted by sunnilove[/QUOTE]

I get that face all the time! I agree, though. I can't control them. No matter what we do, someone is always going to fuss. Mind as well just do what makes us happy!!! :)
  • My FI and I have been together for almost 6 years, he is now 22 and I am 21 and even though we have been together a long time our families keep asking what the rush is, are you pregnant? blah blah! It is very frustrating as we are getting married purely because we love each other and want to spend our lives together! 
  • Congratulations all you young engaged couples! I think it is wonderful that you are marrying your sweethearts. I got engaged at 17 and no-one took us seriously. One friend actually stopped talking to us because she thought it was so ridiculous. Granted, we were planning on being engaged for 10 years (huh?) and we broke up after 1, but at the time, we were still serious about it!

Now I guess I am going to be relatively old for a first marriage. I will be 3 weeks away from turning 31 by the time we get married.
  • Now I guess I am going to be relatively old for a first marriage. I will be 3 weeks away from turning 31 by the time we get married.
    Don't feel old.  We'll both be 31 when we're married.  It's pretty average for my circle of friends.  We had a handful in their mid 20's and alot now in their early 30's.  With school, graduate degrees, and starting careers we're definitely seeing the average age moving up (at least in my area).
  • I'll be 30 when I get married and FI will be 37, so definitely don't feel old. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ha ha..doctorpreggo...I will be 40 when we get married and it's my first marriage.  I'm getting the are you sure you can have kids comments. 

I think when you are ready to get married, you just are.  :)  Age doesn't matter.
  • SereneTigerSereneTiger member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Congrats! You're really lucky that you found the person you want to marry so early on in life, not many people can say that! 

I'm also a young bride, I'll be 23 when we get married and FI will be 26. Most people we talk to are either in the 'you're too young' or the 'why are you waiting so long' categories. 

Personally, I don't think it's that long at all (this year is going to FLY by!) and both my parents were 23 when they got married and so was my FMIL, so I guess I'm learning by example haha

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards