June 2014 Weddings
Options

What's your budget?

If you don't mind telling.  :)

You can be general: probably under $10K or $5K or bust!  LOL  :D

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's your budget?

• Options
    Ideally our budget is $15k, but the chances of that being our actual budget are slim to none! lol
    If it was $15k I would be able to afford everything I want including venue, caterer, photographer, etc. But since we're both college students and our parents aren't really contributing, got to be realistic. So it'll probably be more like $10k and I'll have to axe a couple of things/cut back.
  • Options
    BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    When we started planning we set the overall budget at $8K. We had no idea what we were talking about so we ended up doubling it and spent just under $15K.
    I should say that I'm a terrible budgeter, I pretty much approach it with a reverse mentality. I figure out how much what I want costs and make financial plans to obtain it. It's not very common but it works for us; we don't mind waiting a bit longer or making more sacrifices, whereas we do mind compromising on quality or what we truly want. That's why I don't exclude that we might push the date to 2015. 

For this vow renewal I haven't exactly figured it out, but from the looks of it, it will be no less that $20K. Especially since the $ to Euro conversion is going to kill us. :(
  • Options
    2K or less
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It's going to be very difficult (with my mother) but I am going to try and keep our wedding under $10K.  My motto is: It's just one day.

My cousin got married last year in the city (NYC) and spent about $150K on her wedding.  My step-sister's wedding was around $60K in 2010. Honestly I didn't see much of a difference between their weddings. Certainly not $90K's worth!

Since then I've just been curious about wedding budgets in general. Some people can do amazing things with small budgets and some creativity!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're trying to stay around $10K. We plan on trying to cut back and stay under that if possible with a lot of DIY decorations and things like that. :)
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're trying to stay around $10K. We plan on trying to cut back and stay under that if possible with a lot of DIY decorations and things like that. :)

Same here!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We would like to keep it as close to $5K as possible, but realistically we could do up to $10K and are okay with it. I think if we keep the major stuff around 5 (venues, food, alcohol, photography, and video) then we can spend whatever on the rest of decor, clothing, and accessories.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_whats-your-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:806e32d6-2d2e-4897-b9d2-8921ff9f4e8fPost:9226ddc9-9342-4412-959a-5409fb8348f4">Re: What's your budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's going to be very difficult (with my mother) but I am going to try and keep our wedding under $10K.  My motto is: It's just one day. My cousin got married last year in the city (NYC) and spent about <strong>$150K on her wedding</strong>.  My step-sister's wedding was around $60K in 2010. Honestly I didn't see much of a difference between their weddings. Certainly not $90K's worth! Since then I've just been curious about wedding budgets in general. Some people can do amazing things with small budgets and some creativity!  :)
    Posted by lynn614[/QUOTE]

Is that the norm up there?

i'm hoping we get 15K but we could makie it work for 10K probably.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To answer your question joe&cassie-

The average cost of a wedding in Manhattan was $65,824 in 2011, according to the survey. Brides in New York City had the highest average wedding budget, $65,824. -AP

The average wedding in Long Island, N.Y. cost $50,087, while weddings upriver in the Hudson Valley cost $46,560. Weddings in New York City's outer boroughs averaged $40,356. (Year 2011)- AP

In 2011 the area that I live in was the third most expensive place to get married in the Unites States. Of all of the weddings that I've been to I would say that $30K was the average cost. If you go into the city all bets are off though. If you want to have a big ballroom wedding in the city it's going to cost you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    My goal is under 15K....for that I can get most of the things I want but will have to be mindful and do some DIY...although I would be much happier with around 10K. 

For some reason I tend to not include things like my dress, veil, shoes, hair, and bridesmaid gifts in that. I don't know why. Do you ladies include EVERYTHING in your budget? I feel like since I'll still have them after the wedding it doesn't count lol. 
  • Options
    I'm going to include everything in my budget! LOL It's still money that is coming out of my wallet so I need to plan/save for every little thing in this wedding. And I know myself.  If I don't keep track of everything than I will wind up going over my budget and I don't want to do that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ksblumbksblumb member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_whats-your-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:806e32d6-2d2e-4897-b9d2-8921ff9f4e8fPost:53550743-7f5b-4e45-af23-b7558895a827">Re: What's your budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My goal is under 15K....for that I can get most of the things I want but will have to be mindful and do some DIY...although I would be much happier with around 10K.  For some reason I tend to not include things like my dress, veil, shoes, hair, and bridesmaid gifts in that. I don't know why. Do you ladies include EVERYTHING in your budget? I feel like since I'll still have them after the wedding it doesn't count lol. 
    Posted by HTR10[/QUOTE]

Lol. I'm the same way. We have just decided to keep the major things that we need to book around 5K. Then the dress, pampering, centerpieces, and other decor can end up at whatever. Overall, as long as we stay under 10K, we will be fine.
  • Options
    HTR10HTR10 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_whats-your-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:806e32d6-2d2e-4897-b9d2-8921ff9f4e8fPost:e42197b0-070b-4d26-9455-15ed634b4663">Re: What's your budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's your budget? : Lol. I'm the same way. We have just decided to keep the major things that we need to book around 5K. Then the dress, pampering, centerpieces, and other decor can end up at whatever. Overall, as long as we stay under 10K, we will be fine.
    Posted by ksblumb[/QUOTE]

<div>Hah I'm glad I'm not alone :) My major concern is the cost of the reception and the photographer since those are the biggest things we will be spending money on I think. I'm still debating if I really WANT to track every little thing...I'm not sure if I do or not lol. </div>
  • Options
    You could ask around if you have friends that have a specialty that they donate their time and skill as their wedding gift to you. I have a friend doing our photos, another is going to be our DJ, and my cousin throws killer parties for "cheap" that's going to help with putting it all together. Just an idea that you may be able to ask some. I gave them all the option of course and will either pay them something or get them a gift of some sort but it's MUCH cheaper if that's an option for you at all :)
  • Options

Our Budget is 30 grand. Our venue is costing us 15,500 and vendors we have 14,500 to spend. Thats of our own money we have been saving and our wedding will be paid off by march of 2014 with our strict budgeting plan. Then our parents will host our engagement/rehearsal dinners.

• Options
    My budget is under $5K.

• Options
    Budget is $5k but it will probably be more like $6-7k once everything is said and done. 
  • Options
    cmacchcmacch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My initial budget was 15k, but I live pretty close to NYC in a very expensive county.  We weren't finding quality vendors/venues that fit into our price range, so we upped it to 18k.  I'm not thrilled about it, but it's still in comfortable territory for us.
  • Options
    7k is our max, FI would like to keep it closer to 5k. But that doesn't include food and drinks since my dad can get catering for free.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    our budget will be under $40,000

Anniversary

• Options
    spud16spud16 member
    Our wedding budget started out at $20K and has grown to $30K. We are getting some minimal help from our parents ~$7K but doing most of the saving and spending ourselves. This is part of the reason we had and 18 month engagement.
    Check out my wedding blog for great New England venues! http://anewenglandwedding.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    We are looking at keeping under $3000. Luckily my brother-in-law surprised me by paying for my $500 dress behind my back so that just gave a little bit more to work with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our budget started out as $2k, but has grown some. I'm hoping to keep it under $3,000. We will have around 50 guests. We are having our wedding on a Sunday and I have been able to negotiate some awesome deals with vendors.
  • Options
    wabanziwabanzi member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Our budget is around $18,000 for everything. The cost of living here is low, so this is at the higher end for our area. I am hoping we continue to come in under budget like we have been up to now. I am DIYing a lot, but for the love of doing it. The reduced cost and personal touch of it are just bonuses. If it were just up to me, the budget would be around $10,000. FI wants some finer things (and I am pleased he is so into it).
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our budget as it currently stands is about $14k, although ideally we would like to stay under $12k. My future MIL is hosting the rehearsal dinner, I'm going to ask my mom's side of the family to pay for flowers, and my dad's to pay for wine (they both love those things respectively), but the rest is on us. Oh by the way we're only having 40 guests total including us and the wedding party.
  • Options
    Our Budget is low, about $7000 for everything. We are still in the planning stages but have one more semester of College to go so new jobs after graduation might change the budget! I too have to keep saying, Its only one day! 

• Options
    Goal is under 15k. We wanted under 10k but unfortunately due to service fees and tax our venue/ food alone is around 8k so there's no way we can do everything else in 2k. I am doing a lot of diy, no flowers, cupcakes instead of big cake, amateur (but awesome) photographer, and attending a wedding fair in a couple months for some hopeful on the spot deals for other vendors (DJ etc)!
  • Options
    I wanted it to be as low as we could keep it.   It quickly is shooting up to 15k!   I hope I can cute some things but it seems the list is growing from the people around us but the money they are throwing in is not growing as fast.   Hate to say it but it may hit 20k before all is said and done.   I hope not but idk it may!
  • Options
    Before we were really in the planning stages of everything, I would watch shows like Four Weddings and think that $10,000+ was far too expensive of a wedding.  Well, now that I'm in the thick of everything and we've put money out for the ceremony, reception, photographer, etc... We're nearing that total already.  I think when all is said and done it'll be right around $12K.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    $5,000 with 100 guests, and right now I'm under. Everything is planned on a spreadsheet so I'm keeping very close tabs on everything. It's become my obsession to keep it under budget LOL
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards