Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

HELP! Pittsburgh area reception venue - unique

Do you ladies have any specific suggestions for reception venues? I feel as though we've looked everywhere, without any luck. Is it just me, or does it seem like weddings in this area are either around the $10k and lower mark, or $40k and upper? What about the 'tweeners?! Any advice is greatly appreciated... Here are some of our 'must haves'...

-Venue near Pittsburgh, PA (Our church is near Frick Park)
-Not your typical banquet hall or hotel... although we are not opposed to halls/hotels... we just want it to have a little bit of style/flair! Think romantic, elegant, candles...
-We would prefer indoors.
-We'd like to be able to do venue/drinks/food and basic rentals (tables, not including upgraded chairs/linens) for under $10 or $12,000. If they allow you to bring your own alcohol, that is a double plus!
-We have ruled out both the Mansion on 5th, and the Mansion at Maple Heights. We also have tried Armstrong Farms, Lingrow Farms, Betsy's Barn, etc.

I cannot wait to hear what some of you creative ladies come up with. THANK YOU in advance :)

-S

Re: HELP! Pittsburgh area reception venue - unique

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many guests?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it would help us to know how many guests you are trying to have...that also changes what venues are free.

Lemont and twentieth century club might be more "typical," and are more affordable options.  The Grand Concourse is supposedly affordable and is completely not typical...I'd say it's romantic. I also think my venue, Pittsburgh Golf Club, is romantic and a typical, but I'm paying more than your budget for ~100 guests.  None of these let you bring your own alcohol.

The zoo is byob and that is certainly atypical.  The aquarium venue is beautiful.  And I think it's more affordable than a lot of venues around.

• LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about J Verno Studios?  Blank space.  Create your own atmosphere.  Or how about the Altar Bar?  I go info sent to me on weddings there.  Unique are both.
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on your number of guests, the Aviary could be fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used the aquarium at the zoo and everyone raved about how cool of a venue it is. You can check out my pictures in my bio.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Holiday Inn Pittsburgh airport- we just booked with them ( if you book by Oct 31 you get 15% off your food package!!) Their minimum is $6000 for the Ferris room and almost everything is included ( open bar, food, apps, cake, champaigne toast, chair covers, tables, linen, etc) They even threw in 7 extra rooms for family and friends. We are looking to spend only $6000-6500 on our reception. They are definitely worth checking into! PM me for more info :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My reception was at the Edgewood Club.  Its really close to Frick Park, its a historical building, you can make it look really soft and romantic (it has high beams, all wood floor, etc), you can bring your own alcohol and you would definitely be able to do it for $10,000 - 12,000.  They have an outdoor patio that you can use (we wanted to have our bar set up out there, but it was supposed to rain) and it has lights already strung on it, but we added lights outside too.

Drawbacks are you can't have it during summer months, because there is no air conditioner (I think they stop early June and resume mid September), I wouldn't have more than 140 guests and some other brides have said that they have had trouble getting a hold of the coordinator, but I didn't have that problem. Hope this helps!

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • edited December 2011
    The Priory on the North Side is very nice - and if you can do a winter, or a Friday or Sunday wedding they have lower miniumum prices.  I hear what you are saying about the insane prices.  We decided to have ours in Ellwood City at place called Shakespeare's - reasonable prices and it even includes fresh flower centerpieces.  Good luck with your search.
    I know James Centre - West end used to be good choice and they let your bring your own booze.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards