May 2012 Weddings
Options

Non privacy really becoming an issue

So as most of you know, i bought a house after much stress right before the wedding (as if i needed anything else to worry about)...and while im excited to move, i am also really stressed...still....even after all the wedding stuff. I thought we were going to close June 1....but its been pushed until July sometime,...possibly August...and well....i just cant live with my In-laws any more.

privacy had been an issue prior to our marriage...but now that my husbands sister is home from nursing school, we cant do anything without interruption.
Its not just our sex life thats suffering,...its the waiting for the shower, waiting to use the bathroom because shes been using ours, her friends coming over and laying on our bed, eating our food, and the laundry...forget about it...she is constantly doing laundry.

The last time she came home over winter break....there was so much water being used in the house, the septic overflowed in to our bathroom....we got blamed for it and wound up having to pay to have the line snaked and unclogged.  there was a week where we couldnt use our shower or toilet...so we showered at the gym.  it was gross.

so im really needing to get the hell out of their house asap.
the feeling of helplessness has gotten worse since our wedding....and knowing that we are moving soon. i am restless as all hell. any suggestions to regain a little privacy.... because im starting to get bitchy.

Re: Non privacy really becoming an issue

• Options
    Can you sublet an apartment for the time being?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    H and I used to live with his Mom, her new husband and his sister, so I can totally relate you your issue! We all shared 1 bathroom, and every morning H's Mom's husband would be in the bathroom for an HOUR right at the time that H and I had to get up for work....His sister is/was a slob, her shoes, mail, laundry was all over the house.

We were there for about 4 years (UGH!), finally moved into our own place a few months ago, its just an apartment, but it got us out! Things got instantly better, less stressful, and we were so much more relaxed!

I can't think of anything to say to make you feel better, except that one day soon, you'll be in your own home, with your own everything, and you'll feel SOO much better! Just try and keep your mind on the day you'll be able to move into your house!
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    That really sucks...got a good friend you could maybe do a sleepover with just to recharge and calm down. Just remember it is temporary and soon you be in your glory! Hang in there!
  • Options
    I am wondering...why is she laying all over your bed? Is she sharing a room with you two?  I would set some ground rules and hopefully you'll get respected. A long time ago an old boyfriend and I shared our tiny apartment with his brother and gf. Well, since I was paying for my own food to bring to work, I labeled what was mine. And wouldn't let them eat it. It pissed her off, but it got the point across that what is mine is mine. I wouldn't put up with that crap. Lock up what you can in terms of food and anything else you don't want touched. I'd also kick her out of your room and if sharing a bathroom is a must, create a schedule (esp. for am showers, etc). Otherwise, lock your bathroom door so she can't use it and plug up the toilet.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • Options
    Its Moreso her friends come down to our downstairs apartment because we have a giant led tv they like to watch movies on but it's so inconvenient especially when she's off for the summer not working and we have jobs etc.
  • Options
    I would still set some ground rules. You two need your privacy. Period. Stand up to her. Don't let her walk all over you.
  • Options
    Lock on your basement apartment!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_non-privacy-really-becoming-an-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2bb9a2be-9eb2-491e-a87d-4edf866d1b1aPost:11deef1b-0610-4494-abf8-cf79581ad409">Re: Non privacy really becoming an issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would still set some ground rules. You two need your privacy. Period. Stand up to her. Don't let her walk all over you.
    Posted by vineyard12[/QUOTE]

<div>This!! They definitely need to respect your space. I think a lock is a great idea. If it's your basement apartment people should not be entering it without knocking or asking for permission.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I say if your finances allow it, get out of there and find a sublet. 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    If you can't sublet, you need a lock on your door.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd say your H needs to step up and inform his family of some boundaries you guys are making/needing.

"Family, we love living so close to you and we really appreciate you letting us stay here until our apartment closes.  Until then, we need to be comfortable where we are living, so we would appreciate it if you'd let us know before hand if you're planning to come down to visit. Thanks!"

or something like that...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards