May 2012 Weddings
Options

please help. conflict with date

i just found out my college graduation is the day before my wedding.
the ceremony is at 10 am, in the town where i live on may 4. the wedding is the next day, in a town 3 hours away. on saturday may 5, 2012.
to do this would be crazy stressful for me. but it could probably be done.

the reasons i'm hesitating to change my date:
may 5 sounds so good. it's easy to remember. 5/5. cinco de mayo.
the ceremony site is a garden with tons of azaleas, that bloom is mid april. the site has an annual azalea festival there. by having my wedding on may 5, i could have the azalea's still in bloom, but avoid the actual festival itself. with all that natural beauty, i would barely have to decorate the site.
to have a may wedding is special in sentimental to my fiance and i (long story).
and we have lots of out of state guests, so it has to be a saturday.

so if i reschedule to the next saturday, that's the day before mother's day, which might lead to some people not coming.
if i push it back another saturday to may 19th, all the azaleas could be dead by then.
and the next weekend is memorial day weekend, even worse.

our guest list is small, about 50 people. all close friends and family, all people who would be missed if they didn't come.

so i'm freaking out. please help me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: please help. conflict with date

• Options
    i would be able to have a rehearsal and rehearsal dinner because the graduation ceremony is at 10 am. but still, it's cutting it so close. and i would be beyond exhausted by that point.

i think i am going to change my wedding to the 12th.
    just gotta let people know to make sure it's okay. 
    i'm 95% sure my entire side of the family will have no problems with it, but i have no idea what my fiance's family will think or do.

thanks for the help. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh that is tough. My wedding is the weekend after I graduate from college so but thats the only weekend that would work for us, so I understand your stress. What if you did it the 11th instead of the 12th if your worried people couldn't come the day before Mothers day? Its a Friday. Often, rates are cheaper on Friday nights anyways. And it would give guests Saturday to travel. Just something to think about...
    May 2012: April Signature Challenge: Wedding Venue
    imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would change it to the 12th, I don't think people would say no to a wedding the day before Mother's Day.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It could be a cute story.  I had a lot of friends moving out of their apartments to new cities, sometimes across the country, the day after or the day of graduation.  If they could do that, you can get married!  My undergrad had seniors take finals two weeks before graduation so the tests could be graded to make sure everyone could graduate.  I remember the week before graduation being totally free.  You know what's best!
  • Options
    now i'm thinking i'll make it may 19th. i started asking a couple people in my close family what they thought, and some of them had somewhat strong opinions against the day before mothers day.
    i wanted the azaleas in bloom, but i found my ceremony site when there were no azaleas. actually, i've never seen the site when they are in bloom, and it is beautiful regardless.

i just hate that i'm adding 14 days to my wedding day countdown. haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards