May 2012 Weddings

anyone breaking this etiquette rule?

Apparently etiquette states that an unmarried couple living together should receive a wedding invitation with each of their names on a separate line, like this:
Ms. Jane Smith
Mr. John Johnson
Address
Address

That just looks weird to me! FI & I have NEVER received a wedding invitation with each of us on a separate line! Is anyone breaking this rule and putting an unmarried couple on the same line: Ms. Jane Smith and Mr. John Johnson?

How closely are you all following "etiquette" on addressing your invitations? Because there are some other rules I'd like to break...
May '12 Nesties
March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
MARRIED!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: anyone breaking this etiquette rule?

• We will probably do their names on separate lines. FI & I have actually received quite a bit of mail like that (not just wedding things) since we've lived together. I don't think it makes too big of a difference either way though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree - it looks silly. I plan on writing them on one line. However I'm going the casual route and I'm not inluding "Mr., Mrs. Ms." etc on mine either. When it comes to invitations, there are several etiquitte rules that I just find outdated and/or silly, so I'm not following a few other ones either. :)
  • Ours are pretty formal, so I stuck to the separate lines thing.

Married couples:
    Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Smith

Married couples with kids:
    Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Smith
    Johnny and Sally Smith

Dating couples:
    Mr. John Smith
    Ms. Jane Doe

Singles:
    Mr. John Smith and Guest
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • I'm doing it on one line.. the people I'm sending invites to are not etiquette police.
  • I did ours on a separate line but I don't think people really know the difference. I say do whatever you want to.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • These 'rules' crack me up! I kept things simple.

Single Guests
    Ms. Jane Doe & Guest

Couple but not engaged - invite addressed to the friend of the couple
    Ms. Jane Doe & Guest

Engaged Couple
    Mr. & (soon-to-be) Mrs. Smith

Married Couple
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith

May not be "correct" but who is really going to notice! The envelope just gets thrown away anyways :)

imageVisit The Nest!
  • In Response to Re: anyone breaking this etiquette rule?:
    [QUOTE]I'm doing it on one line.. the people I'm sending invites to are not etiquette police.
    Posted by FutureMrsSheeler[/QUOTE]

Ditto...lol
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • i don't need another thing to stress about, so i'm addressing them however i d*mn well please  hahaha

also, FI and i figure if someone is going to get offended by the wording on our invites/envelopes/whatever then we probably don't want them to be at the wedding :-P

our wedding is pretty laid back though, if it were a formal affair I might feel different
  • Mine are more casual and I'm okay with that! I see so many brides getting stressed out with wording and verbiage that I want none of t! Haha invites are: John & Jane Smith or John Walker & Jane Turner Easy for me equals a happy bride =o)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_anyone-breaking-this-etiquette-rule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:d61f3041-7806-4bb1-b30e-809b7b46ce41Post:c186c49b-b8a2-42ef-aab6-72b42834049f">Re: anyone breaking this etiquette rule?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i <strong>don't need another thing to stress about, so i'm addressing them however i d*mn well please</strong>  hahaha also, FI and i figure if someone is going to get offended by the wording on our invites/envelopes/whatever then we probably don't want them to be at the wedding :-P <strong>our wedding is pretty laid back though, if it were a formal affair I might feel different</strong>
    Posted by comeongetdown[/QUOTE]

<div>This!!! We probably won't put mr and mrs anywhere. period. </div>

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards