June 2013 Weddings
Options

Q for those who aren't inviting kids....

I'm looking at my guest list and I just thought of something...

At what age are you saying that they are 'kids'?

A bunch of family and friends have 10 and under - which to me is definitely 'kids' but then I'm wondering about the 12 - 17 age range...

I think we only have maybe 4 in the 12 - 17 age range so I'm not sure what to do...

Is the norm usually 18 and up? Or something else?
June '13 - Cake!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Books read in 2013 - 0/25

Re: Q for those who aren't inviting kids....

• Options
    We are having kids at our wedding but the norm is usually 18 and up.  My only concern with that would be splitting siblings.
  • Options
    We are doing kids in the immediate family. I would say if you are still in school other than college, you count as a kid. So under 18.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We're not inviting kids (i.e. kids of cousins, friends, etc.), however, we do have a handful of under 18 people on our guest list:
    *My youngest cousin, who is 17 (if he wasn't invited, we'd be splitting up sibilings).
    *My youngest brother and sister, who will be 14 & 16.
    *Our ringbearer and his little brother, who will be 10 months at the wedding. They're coming from out of state with my fiance's cousin, and we knew she'd have no choice but to bring the toddler, so we made the decision to ask him to be the ringbearer. It helps that the ringbearer's mom is my fiance's only cousin on his dad's side.

I think that as long as you wouldn't be splitting up sibilings by not inviting the under 18s, you're fine. However, if you invite the 12-17 year olds, but not their 10 and under sibilings, that'd be an issue for the parents, I'm sure.

• Options

We are having a 21+ ceremony and reception. The only exceptions are my two brothers, my FSIL, and my cousin’s two daughters.  

Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We were going to go with 13 and under as "kids" but then there is one family that 2 of my cousins could come and the other 2 couldn't. So we've made it 21+ with the only exceptions being our ring bearer, flower girl and 2 junior BMs.
  • Options
    Sorry had to P&R yesterday

Yeah looking at the list we don't have many in the 12-17 range and none of them would have older siblings so we wouldn't have to worry about splitting them up thankfully.

I think I'm going to stick 18 or 19+  (and obviously not break any siblings up!). The only exception we have for kids coming will be my 5 year old nephew (ringbearer) and my friends 5 year old daughter (flower girl).
    June '13 - Cake!

• Options
    We're also having 21+, our wedding is in the evening so not really good for kids anyway.  This was also a way to cut down on the list because I have 1st cousins ranging from age 4-40 and there are about 50 altogether, which we simply couldn't afford.

I totally think making exceptions for kids in the wedding party and even nieces and nephews is fine as long as you are consistent with your 'rules'
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd chck with your venue. They probably have an age limit that they consider kids and might charge a different price, and I doubt they give a child price up to 18.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_q-for-those-who-arent-inviting-kids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:5383c953-3395-425e-b9ec-21fd46c220dePost:d57da81f-a193-4041-bb23-5bbcd6d9667c">Re:Q for those who aren't inviting kids....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd chck with your venue. They probably have an age limit that they consider kids and might charge a different price, and I doubt they give a child price up to 18.
    Posted by rmp4996[/QUOTE]

Oh and that's another thing... Our venue plate prices are expensive already to begin with. Their 'kid' plate prices are almost the same cost!!! I think it's only like $20 cheaper :s I'm sorry but I really don't want to pay $100 for a 3 year olds meal :( 
    June '13 - Cake!

• Options
    We are lucky that we have a big age gap... we have a few babies/toddlers who are 1-3 years old and then the next youngest is 12.  The 12 year old will be invited, along with anyone older than him (13-17 year olds).  None are siblings though.  If the 12 year old or teen were related to a toddler, we wouldn't have wanted to split them up. 

By 12 years old, I'd say that a kid can sit by themselves with cousins instead of having to be with parents, and they'd be able to eat a good portion of an adult meal. 
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are doing the kids in the wedding party, and over 12s (my niece and nephews basically)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards