June 2013 Weddings

NWR: Favorite recipes

I love to cook. It's one of my favorite things to do. FI calls me his very own Martha Stewart/Julia Childs because I'm always trying out something new! (and out of all the meals I've made for us only 3 turned out horrific.)

I'm always looking for new recipes to try. Sooo, does anyone have any favorite recipes they would like to share? 

Here's one of our favorites. FI would request this once a week if he could! 

Slow Cooker White Chili

3-4 boneless chicken breast

1 pkg smoked turkey sausage (or any kind of smoked sausage)-cut into small pieces.

2 large onions, diced –we skip this because we hate onions

5 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 quart chicken broth

6 cups white beans(3- 15oz cans of white beans)

1 - 4 oz can diced green chilies

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

additional salt and pepper to taste (probably about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon)

**If you want to add a little extra flavor and are using the slow cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken, onions and garlic before you place them in the slow cooker. To do this, cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes per side, flipping once. After you cook the chicken, add 1 cup of the broth to the skillet to deglaze the pan and get up those tasty browned bits off the bottom of the skillet, then add everything to the slow cooker.**

Add all ingredients except the "additional salt and pepper to taste" in the slow cooker. Cook on high 6-7 hours, low 10-12 hours.

Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks (it will just fall apart). Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir. Season to taste.

*I highly recommend the deglazing because it makes the whole meal THAT much better!*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Favorite recipes

• I'm at work. Will post some recipes later. I love to cook too and am always looking for néw recipes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love cooking and finding new recipes! I just made this last night as a test run before FI visits in 2 wks, it's spicy but you can adjust the heat, and very very yummy:

Shrimp Creole (<- click); I used a bag of 'large' shrimp from trader joe's (pre-cooked, deveined, etc) and forgot about the bay leaf. I've checked out the website and there are a lot of good & healthy meals!

Another way to deglaze is with wine, the alcohol really gets up all those delicious flavors from cooking. If I don't have any handy I have sometimes used balsamic vinegar, when it reduces it has a really sweet caramilized flavor. 

FI got me a slow cooker for christmas - I'm loving playing with recipes with it! Better Homes & Gardens has a recipe book (not expensive $12 maybe) just for slow cookers :)
    Photobucket
  • Ive become a fan of this chicken with fontina and onions :-)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_stuffed_with_golden_onions_fontina.html
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm not the best cook in the world. Well its not necessarily that I can't cook, it's just that I'm clumsy in the kitchen...yeah...not a good thing lol. So I don't really have any recipes to share, but I will try the ones posted :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards