June 2013 Weddings

Umm, so this could be an issue

So, when making my wedding website, and putting it on the save the dates, I assumed that people would type the www.insertmywebsitename.com into the bar at the top. That's what I do when someone gives me a website. Well, apparently, instead of that, people type it into google, and clikc the first thing that comes up. The 1st thing that comes up is this board!!!!! I wrote my website in the role call sticky, as many of you did, and ones in a post when we were talking about it, and rather than my actual website being the 1st thing to come up in google, this comes up in google. And the person doing this can then view all of our posts, look at the rest of the discussions, even though they aren't logged in, read the role call sticky, etc. They have access to everything. I deleted the post tied to my website, but it is obviously still stuck out there in internet land and still comes up with this group as the 1st thing google turns up. I only found out beause someone told me that they were looking at my "website" and saw a group I was in with a bunch of girls, and after tyring to figure out how the hell that happened, it hit me. I checked the google and here we are.

Anyone have a better way of making that not happen? It's annoying, it doesn't show people any of the info I want them to see for my wedding, and I fear that more people will tyep it into goodgle and not into the top bar like I thought they would. Any ideas?? This will probably affect some of you guys as well.
Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image

Re: Umm, so this could be an issue

• Well I don't like that. At all. I googled ours and lots of threads pop up, so I clicked on all of them and edited every thread to remove our site. They all still come up in google and I managed to somehow delete my roll call post. Gah. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • yeah, I had to delete my roll call post too. :( And I deleted my posts with the website listed, but they still come up like yours did. How long do you think it will take until they don't show up there anymore?

And when you googled your website, did the link to your actual website even show up? Because mine never came up at all.
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    They did and now if you click the link they're not there anymore, but they still show up in the little snipet under the link. Hopefully they go away at some point. Maybe I'll contact the knot gods and ask them if they can push wedding websites to the top of the google search results. In fact, the wedding website itself isn't listed at all under the google search. Like, legit, not at all. And I put the direct link in the search bar. That's really stupid. TK is so dumb sometimes.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yup, same thing with my wedding website. Doesn't come up at all. I chagned the setting to not searchable, and hoping that in 24 hours it will not come up in the snippet anymore. The posts themselves are gone, but people can still click it, see other peoples posts, and in turn see other things we have written, not even tied to our websites. (IE, TMI/TU) Annoying. I e-mailed TK also asking if they could make it so my website is at the top of the search. It is really dumb that when you put the EXACT link in, it still doesn't come up. What a pain. Let me know if you get anywhere with them, and I will do the same.
  • Could you pm me their email. I was going to go shout out and pm KL, but email is probably better, haha.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • CNF- See FB
  • I just made my wedding website the other day and havent posted a link anywhere- is this only happening if you post a link on here?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'd suggest googling it and see what happens.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm glad I decided against using a TK website. I opted for mywedding.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • TK got back to my e-mail, said they uderstand my frustrartion that my webpage doesn't even come up in a google search, but that there is nothing they can do about it. They don't control google search results, which I guess I understand, but it's still annoying. It's annoying how google would pick up 2 times that I typed it in a blog post, both semi-recently, but wont pick up the actual website that I made last year. Sometimes I hate internet.....and yes I kind of wish I didn't use TK either, although I'm not entirely sure at this point that it is TK's issue. i would google websites anyway, no matter where you made it through, especially if you ever typed the name in here before. 
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, sometimes I wish I went with a different host site too. But it's too late for that, the website is on my save the dates that have been out for a while already. Oh well, guess it just is what it is then. But it really sucks. I don't want every one of my family and friends to see my posts. Hopefully people are smart enough to type it into the url box, not a search engine. I'm actually annoyed my roll call post got deleted in my crazy scramble. I reposted it, but it's still sad. Ahh boo. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for the heads up! Same thing happens to me :(
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just googled mine and nothing shows up.  Maybe cause I didn't post it anywhere.

Either way, I hope your issue gets resolved quickly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards