June 2013 Weddings

Do you think I PO'ed my photographer? - Updated

I could be looking into this too much, as usually it takes my photog a day or two to respond to my emails. But I wanted to get your opinion.

Short Version: I asked my photographer if I could use our engagement images to create a photo guestbook myself instead of buying one through her.

Long Version: As part of our wedding package, we are given all engagement and wedding images on a flash drive in high resolution along with rights released. I really like this photographers work, but she was almost double of what I wanted to spend on a photographer. I justified it because we get the high res images. I understand I can use these to have printed whereever, but I wasn't sure how else I could use them. One thing that I do want to do is have a photo guestbook, but I can do it a lot more cheaper online through Shutterfly versus going through her. (Saves me about $200) We have been cooresponding this week about our engagement pictures. At the end of her last email she wrote: 
"I'll put everything on a flash drive for you- high res and low res images- high for printing, low for facebook and web. If at any time between now and the wedding you decide you want something specific, like a guest book with your images in it, I will be happy to help. :)"

I responded to some of her earlier questions, and then at the end of the email I wanted to verify how we could use the high res images. Part of my response was:
"I did want to ask and verify, once with get the high-res images, can we use them however we would like? I do not want to step on anyones toes, but I do want to do a guest book with our engagement pictures. I can create one online through Shutterfly a bit more reasonable than having you create one. You were definitely my wedding 'slurge' so I'm just trying to save pennies where I can. Lol. But again, I don't want to step on your toes or somehow breach our contract without knowing, and wanted to make sure before hand that that would be ok to use the images."

So was I out of line to ask this? I sent over this email yesterday afternoon and haven't heard back from her yet, but as I mentioned ealier that is not out of character. But now I'm fretting that I have managed to piss off one of the most important person for our wedding day. Lol.

Re: Do you think I PO'ed my photographer? - Updated

• jap5053jap5053 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_do-you-think-i-poed-my-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:af7d7ee7-2940-489b-876f-3bf9f27e0a4dPost:1669e115-e430-45c5-9e0e-1a8f35116e45">Do you think I PO'ed my photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could be looking into this too much, as usually it takes my photog a day or two to respond to my emails. But I wanted to get your opinion. Short Version: I asked my photographer if I could use our engagement images to create a photo guestbook myself instead of buying one through her. Long Version: As part of our wedding package, we are given all engagement and wedding images on a flash drive in high resolution along with rights released. I really like this photographers work, but she was almost double of what I wanted to spend on a photographer. I justified it because we get the high res images. I understand I can use these to have printed whereever, but I wasn't sure how else I could use them. One thing that I do want to do is have a photo guestbook, but I can do it a lot more cheaper online through Shutterfly versus going through her. (Saves me about $200) We have been cooresponding this week about our engagement pictures. At the end of her last email she wrote:  "I'll put everything on a flash drive for you- high res and low res images- high for printing, low for facebook and web. If at any time between now and the wedding you decide you want something specific, like a guest book with your images in it, I will be happy to help. :)"   I responded to some of her earlier questions, and then at the end of the email I wanted to verify how we could use the high res images. Part of my response was: " I did want to ask and verify, once with get the high-res images, can we use them however we would like? I do not want to step on anyones toes, but I do want to do a guest book with our engagement pictures. <strong>I can create one online through Shutterfly a bit more reasonable than having you create one. You were definitely my wedding 'slurge' so I'm just trying to save pennies where I can. Lol</strong>. But again, I don't want to step on your toes or somehow breach our contract without knowing, and wanted to make sure before hand that that would be ok to use the images." So was I out of line to ask this? I sent over this email yesterday afternoon and haven't heard back from her yet, but as I mentioned ealier that is not out of character. But now I'm fretting that I have managed to piss off one of the most important person for our wedding day. Lol.
    Posted by LadyLuck77[/QUOTE]

I would have definitely left this part out. If I were her, I would be offended. There is nothing you can do about it now, but I would say if she doesn't respond in a few more days, I would send a follow-up email apologizing if you offended her by your comment.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_do-you-think-i-poed-my-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:af7d7ee7-2940-489b-876f-3bf9f27e0a4dPost:4ac6b670-2ea7-45fa-94e4-892fae2e6dbd">Re: Do you think I PO'ed my photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you think I PO'ed my photographer? : I would have definitely left this part out. If I were her, I would be offended. There is nothing you can do about it now, but I would say if she doesn't respond in a few more days, I would send a follow-up email apologizing if you offended her by your comment.
    Posted by jap5053[/QUOTE]

That's what I was afraid of. I don't know why I put that in there at all, as it was inappropriate. Thanks for your opinion!
  • By giving you the rights to your images and providing them to you do have the right to do whatever you want with, however you please, whenever you please, in any fashion you please. She threw the part about helping you make a photo guest book in because it's a big money maker for her. Believe me, they don't spend anymore to make them then you do to make your own. Those albums and books have insane mark ups on them. You are totally within your rights to make your own guest book using the photos she took since she gave you the rights to them. You would have been better off just making one and not saying anything. I agree with above, give her another day or two, or until Monday, then send her another email to clear the air. That being said, she's still a professional and shouldn't let a slightly offending question deter her from doing her job. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm going to be the opposing vote here. I don't see anything wrong with you telling your photographer that you'd prefer to get your guestbook someplace else and why. In my salon days, I prefered clients tell me why they didn't buy from the salon I worked for.  When I rented my own booth, it was even more important that I know!  When faced politely with the facts, I was happy to do something about it if I could or apologize when I couldn't.  Either way, I was glad for info.

On the other hand, some people are easily offended. I'm just not. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • i dont see why your photographer should be offended, if you are given personal rights to the photos you should be allowed to do whatever you wish with those photos, no one should tell you how to spend your money, if anything i think your photographer should be understanding. Personally my photographer suggested we use online sites such as shutterfly or snapfish to do guestbook, photobooks, parent books etc. because the costs for the photographer to do the same work is alot more $$ and the quility is the same. BTW my photographer was half of my wedding budget =[ 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for your input! I truly to appreciate it. Here is a quick update.

She emailed me back this morning and didn't seem offended in the least bit. She was actually very understanding and recommended a place to go through. I was so relieved to get her email! I did reply back and apologized if my previous email had offended her in any way, and thanked her for being so understanding and helpful.
  • That's great, LadyLuck! Hey, I just realized we are both from Arkansas. Yay for us! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I don't think it was too bad. You are paying a lot of money for it and you weren't lying. Depends on how easily she is offended. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2013 brides December 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaids Dress
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards