June 2013 Weddings

is it really that long?

I was talking to a lady at Belk's today about my wedding. When I told her it wasn't until 2013, she seemed shocked that it was that far away. Like, really really shocked. It's not like I'm planning every detail! Just because I look at things doesn't mean I'm booking things. It just really caught me off guard that she was that shocked in a 2 1/2 year engagement. Have you ladies had any similar experiences when you tell people your date?

Re: is it really that long?

• I get a lot of shocked responses too! Our date is June 8th, 2013, we were considering fall of 2012 but I am having hip surgery and want to be sure that I am fully healed and wont need the assistance of a crutch or cane to get down the aisle. Plus I need the time to save up the money to pay for the wedding!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At least you are engaged - my boyfriend and I do things in a really screwed up order...
    We have been dating two years, we have been living together for about 6 months, we have started planning the wedding (already booked our reception location!) and we are planning to get engaged after his brother's wedding next year (so probably in April or May) and our wedding date is June 1, 2013!
    I want to enjoy being engaged and enjoy planning our wedding - I just don't think a year is long enough to do both, so I'm planning now and I'll enjoy it later!

Congrats on your engagement ladies! I cannot wait to join the club!

• I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting to get married for so long!  I really want to get married on June 23 of 2012, but we won't have enough money saved by then, and I want to finish grad school, so it looks like it will be June 23 2013 (it is bad to have a wedding on a Sunday?)  I just got engaged so I haven't told anyone how far out it will be yet...unless someone offers to pay everything, though, its gonna have to wait!  I think it will be nice to have so much time to fantasize about the wedding, rather than rushing into it...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_really-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:b3af8396-f957-4fd8-8e2c-10f08433ea6fPost:d9e404bc-3299-4517-aab8-b29cb1c6e5e1">Re: is it really that long?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting to get married for so long!  <strong>I really want to get married on June 23 of 2012, but we won't have enough money saved by then</strong>, and I want to finish grad school, so it looks like it will be June 23 2013 (it is bad to have a wedding on a Sunday?)  I just got engaged so I haven't told anyone how far out it will be yet...unless someone offers to pay everything, though, its gonna have to wait!  I think it will be nice to have so much time to fantasize about the wedding, rather than rushing into it...
    Posted by helenmreich[/QUOTE]

<div>My FI and I just changed our date from 6/23/2012 for this same reason!  I originally wanted to get married in 2013 but our family and friends were confused as to why we would wait that long.  We have been together for 7 years so an extra year really won't make much difference.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey everyone! SOOO glad I found this board! Our date is either June 1st or 8th of 2013 due to college... my parents are paying for the wedding and they want me to graduate before the big day.

Getting close to the 2-year mark! Haha.

Vendors think I'm crazy too. But hey, at least every last detail will be perfect! lol
    {June 2013} Venue

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hey everyone! 

My fiance and I have been engaged since August of 2010. We originally planned on an April 2012 wedding, but after getting accepted into nursing school we decided to wait. Our date is June 1st 2013. We usually get crazy looks when we tell people are wedding is still over two years away. 

I don't feel like stressing over finances and planning a wedding while trying to finish nursing school. Our families and friends understand and support us, so I guess that's all the matters. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Same here. Ours was gonna be sometime in 2012 but (1) we'd still be in school (2) we have no money and are trying to do this ourselves and (3) my parents weren't very supportive 'til we talked about moving the date back a year. Chose June because my dad suggested it and I have to have a ninth so it's 9 June 2013. ^-^ Planning on looking at venues when I get back home for summer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • Fiance and I are in the same boat.

We've been together 8 1/2 years and wanted to get married next June.  But we're not sure that either of us will have a real job by then (I'm still finishing grad school... he's not sure what he wants to do).  We don't want to get married in a bunch of debt and without decent salaries... so we pushed it until June 2013 (tentatively june 1st... but we'll see).  

Honestly, we're dying to get married.  We won't live together before marriage, and our current schedules mean we don't get to see each other as much as we'd like, so we just can't wait for married life.  

We're also not sure how soon we want to start planning.  I feel like if we call the Church we want to get married in now, they're going to think it's pretty weird.  But then again, maybe sooner is better.  *shrug*

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards