Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Outdoor Wedding / Phipps Conservatory

We toured Phipps recently and were extremely impressed with the beautiful outdoor garden area....  However, considering a September/October wedding, we're concerned about the weather.  Anyone have any experience with outdoor weddings and inclement weather, or weddings specifically at Phipps?  How effective are fans/outdoor heaters?  Can you get them last-minute if needed?  Are they expensive?

Also, does anyone have experience with Phipps Catering?  I haven't been able to contact them via email...  Is there any flexibility with their options (and pricing) outside of the three packages they offer?

And finally, my mother was strangely concerned that the stone/brick patio would not be ideal for dancing - she wanted to be able to "slide" - haha.  (This did not even occur to me.)  Any feedback about the quality of the dancing-ability on the stone surface?
    Smile

Re: Outdoor Wedding / Phipps Conservatory

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One knottie here had her ceremony at Phipps, but not reception. I think an outdoor ceremony is usually a pretty solid idea, but an outdoor reception requires a lot of logistics.

What is the rain plan? What is the lightning /heavy storms plan where it isn't possible to remain in a tent with sides?

I think outdoor receptions can be beautiful! But I was recently told this by a wedding planner.

"You have only a 20% chance of having a good day. The other percentages are 20% too windy, 20% too hot, 20% too cold, and 20% too rainy."

In my experience, I have found that to be true. Also, will guests use the restroom in Phipps? If so and there is inclement weather, they will all be gathered in there. :)

The weather in Pittsburgh is a crapshoot anytime. There have been 50 degree days in June and 90 degree days in the fall.  And even an ideal dry, warm 70 degree day can become too cold by nightfall. Basically, guest comfort is number one and I think it takes a lot of planning to provide comfort outdoors for 6+ hours to a large group of people in upredictable weather conditions. Places like So. Cal are more suited to this due to their climate.

I went to one October wedding that had heaters. It was very nice, but many people were still cold, to tell you the truth, because they are big blowers that blow along the edge of the tent. Cold people=leaving early  I don't know the cost or if you can get them at the last minute. Also, food will cool off faster too on the plates.

Another issue is: when will you make the call on inside or out? And who makes that call? Some brides want to do one thing, but the venue coordinators want to do another. Will you monitor the weather report and have to make a quick decision while trying to get your hair done? It can be stressful to some people to have to do this that day.

I'm sure you could rent a dance floor if your mom would prefer that. I think I priced them at around $200 when I rented.

HTH! Just my two cents!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    the only thing I know about a wedding at Phipps is that if you are inside, it gets REALLY HOT, so you may want to reconsider.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards