Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What do you guys think about...

...including dogs in the ceremony? I am not one of those crazy dog moms, but I still would like to include my baby! He is a miniature dachshund, and I was just thinking about having my flower girl walk down the aisle with him (my flower girl is older) in a "tux." I think it would be cute. Of course, I still have to consult my venue, but I need to decide if it's a good idea first. 

Re: What do you guys think about...

• I think it's cute! I think if you do it, you should hire someone to be a handler. Do you have a favorite pet sitter? It wouldn't be kind to stick a guest or wedding party person with the dog. If you are concerned about your dog behving, you might also consider just having the dog there for photos. That's what we're doing.
  • I have a miniature dachshund and my grandmother breeds them and I really don't think it's a good idea. I know my dog and most of the dogs my mom breeds would not do well around all of those people. Also, some people are afraid of dogs (yes, even little dogs) or allergic to them.

Have you thought about the logistics? Where will he be during the ceremony? What are you going to do with him afterwards?

Maybe if you are getting ready at your house you could have a few pictures taken with him but I don't think having him in the wedding is a good idea.

• I think it's an adorable idea!
  • Believe me, I love dogs. And I am one of those crazies that treats my dog like my child.  But, this is not a good idea.  As pp said some people are afraid of dogs, or allergic.  The dog could pee or poop some place where people are walking.  The logistics of this aren't good.  
  • Please, if nothing else think about your dog and decide against this. A wedding is a VERY long day for people; it's ridiculous to think a dog will enjoy it. Who will walk him and make sure that he is sufficiently relieved? Who will watch him while you're getting ready? What will you do with him during the reception? Is your flower girl familiar and comfortable with him? What about guests who are allergic or fearful? What if he gets spooked and takes off? What if he eliminates walking down the aisle? Or lifts his leg on your dress at the alter? Even dogs with the soundest of temperaments can be spooked by large crowds and unfamiliar locations. Having shown dachshunds, they are hardly a breed that I would dub as having "the soundest of temperaments". (Don't get me wrong - I love the breed. I owned a mini-smooth boy that I adored.) Weddings are long, noisy, busy events which is an inappropriate environment for a dog. If you want to include him at your wedding, take engagement photos with him and have some on display. Or do a rock the dress shoot afterward (on a different day) so you can get pictures of you in your dress with him.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I am not a fan. Please think about all the potential pitfalls listed above and reconsider. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Do you think it will be really cute when he does a nervous pee on the aisle?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My aunt had her dog at her wedding years ago. It was cute. Make sure you take into account your dog's personality and any logistical issues though. If my venue allowed my dog, I would have him in the wedding, but they don't. Plus I don't feel like paying someone to take him home after.....
  • Maybe just having him there for pictures would be a better idea. I made sure to socialize him from the time we got him up until now. He is fantastic with people. We bring him to every family gathering, so he is used to being around big groups! 

I would definitely not ask someone attending the wedding to care for him during the reception! I would probably ask one of my brother's friends (and pay him of course!) to bring him home after, as my brother is watching him while we're on our honeymoon.

FI's family LOVES our dog, but I know for a fact my OOT family won't have a problem with it but will think it's ridiculous. Oh well! They know me well enough to know I would do something like this!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_what-do-you-guys-think-about?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:07c13df8-cd02-49b7-8afd-3c49a1690ae0Post:174f85f0-2e4b-4f86-96c1-2e1e08b4a8c6">What do you guys think about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]...including dogs in the ceremony? I am not one of those crazy dog moms, but I still would like to include my baby! He is a miniature dachshund, and I was just thinking about having my flower girl walk down the aisle with him (my flower girl is older) in a "tux." I think it would be cute. Of course, I still have to consult my venue, but I need to decide if it's a good idea first. 
    Posted by jackiebrim[/QUOTE]

Regardless of how "cute" it seems, I'm not a fan.

Even the most well-trained dog may not behave well in situations involving lots of unfamiliar people and un-routine matters.

Also, if you have anyone attending who is allergic to dogs, this is definitely not a good idea.
  • I am not a fan, and I am a huge dog lover and someone who considers my dog to be my child. I spoil her rotten. I would still not do this for her own good. It doesn't matter how much they have been socialized or how gentle they typically are around people; most dogs have not been through a long, busy, and crowded affair like a wedding before and even the most docile of dogs can get stressed out and anxious in this type of situation. Putting logistics and guest concerns aside, I would not do it simply for the well-being of my dog.

Then add in possible allergies, finding a place for the dog to go to the bathroom and the possibility they do it right there in the aisle, and I just don't find it wise. I would take pics with the dog ahead of time and leave it at that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My "sister" is a mini smooth hair dachsie (my parents dog).

I love her. She is the most precious thing in the world. But...she sheds her little red hairs allllll over. And she can have this shrill bark at seemingly random times. So she stayed with a sitter during my wedding.

Plus, your wedding is in mid-July? Much too hot for a dog.
  • I'd say have a dog sitter bring him for some pictures after the ceremony and then take him wherever afterwards. Don't have him at the actual event because of reasons already mentioned.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think I have come up with the best solution. I will have the sitter bring him right after the reception and get some pictures then. This way, if anything--God forbid!--were to happen to the dress, the event would be over, and I wouldn't have to worry about anything! And then we could say goodbye to our little fella as a newly married couple!

• I'm including my two dogs in our wedding. They will be walked down the aisle by the Maid of Honor & Best Man. I had adorable little leather collars & bowties made up for them. My dogs are very much a part of my family and I cannot imagine not having them there.

That said-- they will be walked down the aisle.. and then once the ceremony begins, our DOC will take them back to an on-site cabin where they will hang out for the rest of the day in peace & quiet. 

I wouldn't necessarily want them present ALL day long.. I will be too busy to care for them, and there will just be too much excitement. However, having them there to walk down the aisle was/is very important to me. So important that my fiance and I would not have chosen a venue that wouldn't allow it.

I'm sure that some people think we're crazy... but... well.. That's okay! We ARE  a little crazy, to be honest! And I don't mind one bit if people know it Smile If you want to include your dogs--- inlcude them. Don't worry so much about what people think. This is YOUR day and you have the right to be surrounded by those that love you-- furry creatures included.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards