Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

At my witts end with wedding planning! Church lost baptisimal certificate!

My FI and I are getting married at a different church there's certain documents needed when you marry in another catholic church and both of our baptisimal certificates is one of them.  I had his church mail me his baptisimal certificate then I mailed it to the new church and followed up with them that week.  The secretary confirmed that she recieved it which was 3 monthes ago.  Today I get a voicemail saying that she has all the documents needed to get married except his baptisimal certificate!!  And that I need to call the church and get them to mail a copy.  When I mailed them the original and she said she got it.  What do I do now???  Our wedding is less than 2 monthes away.

Re: At my witts end with wedding planning! Church lost baptisimal certificate!

• wittykitty14wittykitty14 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    They can easily provide another one.  But I can't blame you for worrying, our church has my original certificate from when I was baptized, and I'd be sad if that was misplaced (I'm sentimental).  The turnaround time is usually pretty quick for these, so it should work out just fine!
  • im actually surprised they even sent it to you - ususally these are sent church to church to ensure that nothing is changed/tampered with (not that you would).

id simply call the church and ask to send another one.  2 months is plenty of time for it to get there.
  • From what I'm reading, it looks like you sent the church the original certificate and they lost it, so now you have nothing to send. I would contact the old church, and see if they have any records of it and ask if that will suffice.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Catholic Churches do not hold original baptismal certificates. They keep sacramental records-- either in a ledger or catalog of all that are baptized at that specific parish. Every time someone that was baptized at that parish receives a new sacrament (usually just Confirmation and Marriage) it is noted on their original ledger. (Wherever they receive the new sacraments sends notifcation to the baptismal parish) The parish often has to make up new certificates when people from there attend another catholic school, or are getting confirmed in a new diocese, and when they get married.  The purpose of them asking for your certificate is not only prove you're baptized Catholic, but to prove you haven't been married. So, rest assurred, they didn't send the only original baptismal certificate to the other parish. 
    So simply call the church, tell them it was lost, please issue a new one. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_at-my-witts-end-with-wedding-planning-church-lost-baptisimal-certificate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:308364a9-d022-4818-acd0-31b2ceb01a9fPost:1caf0385-84f4-41a4-8194-33d11c992206">Re: At my witts end with wedding planning! Church lost baptisimal certificate!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Catholic Churches do not hold original baptismal certificates. They keep sacramental records-- either in a ledger or catalog of all that are baptized at that specific parish. Every time someone that was baptized at that parish receives a new sacrament (usually just Confirmation and Marriage) it is noted on their original ledger. (Wherever they receive the new sacraments sends notifcation to the baptismal parish) The parish often has to make up new certificates when people from there attend another catholic school, or are getting confirmed in a new diocese, and when they get married.  The purpose of them asking for your certificate is not only prove you're baptized Catholic, but to prove you haven't been married. So, rest assurred, they didn't send the only original baptismal certificate to the other parish.  So simply call the church, tell them it was lost, please issue a new one. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Oh okay. That makes more sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards