Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Music during vows?

Hi everyone. I'm getting married to a fantastic man next year. (Duh I know but I love to brag about my baby ;)) Anyway I'm 21 & I haven't been to very many weddings before as far as being old engough to pay attention to details. I was wondering if any of you have ever been to wedding where music was playing all throughout the ceremony. The few weddings I've been to where I was old enough to pay attention had these akward silent moments throughout the ceremony. I was thinking of playing some soft classical music throughout the ceremony. I don't want it too loud to where we can't be heard but enough to make it all "flow". Any thoughts or advice? (please no rude/mean comments)
"It's not going to be easy. It's going to be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, everyday."

Re: Music during vows?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_music-during-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a7aa1dce-e18f-4f12-80bd-a9c75154d267Post:231821df-0122-411e-a3c4-365a02f2bf7b">Music during vows?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone. I'm getting married to a fantastic man next year. (Duh I know but I love to brag about my baby ;)) Anyway I'm 21 & I haven't been to very many weddings before as far as being old engough to pay attention to details. I was wondering if any of you have ever been to wedding where music was playing all throughout the ceremony. The few weddings I've been to where I was old enough to pay attention had these akward silent moments throughout the ceremony. I was thinking of playing some soft classical music throughout the ceremony. I don't want it too loud to where we can't be heard but enough to make it all "flow". Any thoughts or advice? (please no rude/mean comments)
    Posted by J&T=1207[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't recommend music during the vows b/c then people will not be able to hear. <div>
    </div><div>Also, telling people not to be mean or rude is the fastest way to GET allegedly mean comments, so in the future, I wouldn't tell people how to post. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would find any music played during readings, vows, etc very distracting. There shouldn't be other sounds competing with your voices. It's often very hard to hear at weddings, I wouldn't make it more difficult. 
  • Don't have anything playing in the background, guests will not be able to hear, and I would much rather hear the ceremony (the whole REASON for the wedding) than some muzak. It's a very sacred moment, vowing to spend your life with your husband, and I feel like music will take away from some of the sincerity.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • PookiesonPookieson member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    We dj on the side and we have NEVER played music during a ceremony.  It can be very hard to hear and I think music is a bad idea.  I am always disappointed when I cannot hear the vows exchanged (especially if they are writing their own vows) this is the whole reason for the wedding!  We have played songs during candle lighting or sand ceremonies, but that is it. 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• I agree with PPs, music would be very distracting.
  • Skip music during throughout the ceremony, unless you & groom & person doing service use microphones, only the people in the front will probably be able to hear you exchange your vows and that's one of the most magical parts of the ceremony.

We did have music played while guests entered, then when parents & bridal party entered. Then our best man is a wonderful singer so he sang Ava Maria while we did our unity candle ceremony. Then we have music going again for after the ceremony while everyone, including the guests exited the church.

Good luck in planning your wedding. You'll get lots of great advice from people on the boards here.
  • Ditto PPs. I get what you're saying about awkward silences, but sydaries is right that it could come off like muzak. Someone else mentioned playing music during certain times during the ceremony (the lighting of the unity candle, for example). I would just warn you to either have live musicians do this OR make sure everything is timed out PERFECTLY. I went to a wedding a few years ago where the bride's father is a musician and so they played some of his recorded songs (on a CD player) during the ceremony. The problem was that lighting the unity candle took only about half the length of the song. I guess they wanted to wait until the song finished or didn't have a good way to stop it since it was a recording, because the bride and groom just stood there awkwardly for the few minutes it took to play out. Their wedding was no less special, but it was a pretty huge distraction right in the middle of the ceremony. Anyway, guests understand that this is a hugely monumental event, so if there are a few awkward silences, it's okay. You can help avoid those, though, by thoroughly rehearsing everything beforehand.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards