Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Dress Alterations

Hello!  This is my first post.

I'll be getting married in 2014 or 2015 in Bucks County, PA.  I'm extremely stingy with money (because I have very little) and I'm trying to come up with a budget.  My question is...

What is the minimum amount I can expect to pay for alterations on a dress I already own?  (That is, for well-done work, of course).  How much should I expect to pay for things like shortening a gown from the waist, making the bodice a little wider, and adding shoulder straps?  Can you recommend anyone in the area?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Dress Alterations

• I didn't do any recon on prices in the area. I went with the tailor recommended by the place I bought my dress, so I can't say whether it's on par with everyone else, but I thought the work was really nicely done, and the tailor was great to work with. I'm short, so she had to hem the bottom and take in the chest. She also added a bustle and let the dress out a tidge in the back. It cost about $300, and it was Maridadi Couture in Exton.
  • Anybody else have alterations recommendations?  I'm picking up my dress in Maryland this weekend and would love to work with a local tailor for alterations.
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my dress from DB so I just used their tailors. I remember Nilah and Co. being highly recommended on here.

Anniversary
  • I used an independent seamstress.  I literally pick up my dress this Wednesday, so I will let you know how it turned out! 

I think that it really depends on what you get done and how much detail you have on your dress.  What do you need done? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gal12gal12 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I went to a seamstress in Cherry Hill (near the mall). Two of my friends had their wedding dresses done there before, so I went there too. She was great! She took my dresses in (about 3 in), bustled it and shorten it for a total of $280. If you're interested, send me a PM for contact info.
  • I'm interested!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards