Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Atlantis in Bahamas

My FI and I are starting to brainstorm on some ideas on where we would like to go for our honeymoon.  All we really know is that we want to go somewhere to relax, slightly tropical, and beautiful beaches.  We know we don't want to go as far as Europe (such as Greece and Italy) because we don't think we will be able to afford it.  Right now we are really entertaining the idea of the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.  Does anyone have any experience with that resort?

Or any other ideas on where else we could possibly look into for our honeymoon?  We are also looking to go right after the wedding if we can afford to go right away.  If not, we were thinking sometime in the summer, just to give us time to save some more spending money.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Atlantis in Bahamas

• Options
    I've never been to the Atlantis resort, but have seen it on a lot of travel shows.  It looks like it could be fun, but it's also extremely family oriented, which means there will be millions of kids there, which might not be what you want on your HM.

AI's seem to be really popular for HMs, and some of them are adult only.  There are AI's all over the Caribbean, so it really depends on your budget and what type of activities you want to do.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Atlantis is nice. . . . there are a lot of cruise ships that offload their passengers to it for a day to use the water park.  I also agree that it seemed very family oriented when I was there.  Maybe check webites like allinclusiveoutlet.com or ideas about other tropical AI resorts.
    Come to think of it, is Atlantis even all inclusive, I feel like we had to pay for meals and drinks?

I honeymooned at an AI in Cancun, Secrets the Vine and it was amazing.  You can look into resorts that are only adults or couples.
  • Options
    MayDay513MayDay513 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    We looked at Atlantis and opted for Sandals Royal Bahamian. My reasoning was with my luck we would end up with a room next to the one with like 5 screaming kids or something. A co worker just went and said it was smaller than expected. However, I guess it depends on how many days you are going.
  • Options
    I have never stayed there, but when I visited the Bahamas I walked through the Atlantis and it looks gorgeous!
  • Options
    I have heard from many who have been that it is a very nice hotel but so not worth the expense.  There are many gorgeous resorts in the Bahamas that offer the same amenities (pretty much) for far less money.  If you really wanted to do the water park you could make a day out of it and then head back to your just as nice but not nearly as expensive resort when you are done.

• Options
    Oh.  I thought Atlantis was AI.  If there any way then while we are researching options to know if the hotel we are looking at is AI?  Would it say it or would there be a disclaimer of some sort?  
    Sorry for all the questions.  I have personally never traveled outside of the country and FI has only been to London on business, so our traveling experience isn't top-knotch LOL.

We have been looking into Sandals and I know that Sandals is AI and my coworkers is staying at a Sandals resort for her honeymoon so Im interested in them as well.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dh and I have been to the Sandals Royal Bahamian twice and really enjoyed it.  I didn't find it small at all.  There are 7 restaurants on the property so you have lots of choice.  There are quite a few pools and hot tubs around as well.  The beach is nice.  The service is great.  It is an adult only AI.  When you are searching for resorts on a site like Expedia you can choose "AI" as one of your search criteria.  I also wouldn't qualify Nassau as "pretty gross."  We took the public bus both times and went down town.  It's not Beverly Hills for sure but it's fun.  
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    We hm'd at Sandals Grande St. Lucian in '08 and really enjoyed it. We went back last year and had a great time once again. We have also been to Sandals Negril and Sandals Grande Antiguan. We have also been to Cancun twice and stayed at Real Resorts The Royal Cancun also AI and adults only. We actually just got back from our most recent stay at the royal a week ago. I have reviews and pics of all our trips in the link above my siggy pic. HTH
  • Options
    ive stayed there and thought it was nice sure but not worth it for me. i have no problem spending a lot if the place warrants it but i found it to be an over-priced, over-run iwth kids and cruise shippers nothing really all that special kind of place.

you can do better.

• Options

Atlantis is very nice, but as PP's have said, it is very family oriented and crowded. It is not technically AI, however you can purchase a meal plan which is what we did when we visited. It was very expensive, but the beach was pretty and I did not find Nassau to be gross. If you are looking for AI in the Bahamas or any other island, I suggest you check out Trip Advisor. It was a great resource for me as I planned my HM to Aruba.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards