Wisconsin
Options

Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?

Hi Wisconsinites :) 

My fiance and I are getting married in our hometown near Madison and were planning on heading to the bar with our bridal party before the reception. Does this sound tacky? We have friends coming from all over the country to stand up with us and we want to make sure we have some fun with them before heading over to the reception and seeing other people.

Re: Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_heading-to-the-bar-before-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:1ece9cc9-3a45-4e08-8f56-2e3ed3cf2103Post:766ae399-ebae-4749-be20-29ed745b38db">Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Wisconsinites :)  My fiance and I are getting married in our hometown near Madison and were planning on heading to the bar with our bridal party before the reception. Does this sound tacky? We have friends coming from all over the country to stand up with us and we want to make sure we have some fun with them before heading over to the reception and seeing other people.
    Posted by AKGopher[/QUOTE]

Can you just go afterwards? I'm assuming you'll have drinks available at the reception, so you really should get there and socialize with ALL of your guests.

We had a cooler full of beer in the limo, and had a few drinks with our bridal party on the way to the reception from the church.

After the reception, we went to our favorite bar, and the limo drove everyone back to the hotel when we were done.
  • Options
    I agree with itzMS. I don't think it's tacky, I just don't see the point. Either go out after the reception or try to get together the next day for a few hours.
  • Options
    Don't keep your guests waiting or dealing with a gap to go the bar.  I went to Catholic wedding with a huge gap and part of the gap was so the WP could go to the bar.  I was livid.  Do an after party, but please don't stick your guests with a gap to do this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_heading-to-the-bar-before-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:1ece9cc9-3a45-4e08-8f56-2e3ed3cf2103Post:975127ee-900c-4603-9253-8c0d4cbeb655">Re: Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't keep your guests waiting or dealing with a gap to go the bar.  I went to Catholic wedding with a huge gap and part of the gap was so the WP could go to the bar.  I was livid.  Do an after party, but please don't stick your guests with a gap to do this.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
  • Options

We are absolutely doing this with our wedding party.  Due to other circumstances we have a four hour gap between the wedding and the reception.  FI really wanted to have the wedding at his favorite brewery.  Unfortunately they don't host private events there.  So instead we're stopping by with the wedding party before the reception.  I kind of felt that I was going to be so busy at the reception I just wanted a minute to enjoy the day before all the craziness continues. 

But as everyone else said be mindful of your guests.  If you are going to have a gap offer some suggestiosn for out of town guests.  We're setting up local family memebers to be team leads taking people to museums, parks, shopping, bars, and setting up a hospitality room at the hotel with light snacks.  Also, we're letting guests know the wedding party is expected to hit the brewery at such a time and if they would like to join us they're welcome.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_heading-to-the-bar-before-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:1ece9cc9-3a45-4e08-8f56-2e3ed3cf2103Post:766ae399-ebae-4749-be20-29ed745b38db">Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Wisconsinites :)  My fiance and I are getting married in our hometown near Madison and were planning on heading to the bar with our bridal party before the reception. Does this sound tacky? We have friends coming from all over the country to stand up with us and we want to make sure we have some fun with them before heading over to the reception and seeing other people.
    Posted by AKGopher[/QUOTE]

This is not tacky at all. I was in a wedding last September where we did that, and we are doing that with our wedding in July! I think it's a fun little break before the whole reception activities start. I would definitely go for it :)
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    YES IT IS TACKY.

There should be no gap between the ceremony and reception so that the wedding party can go to the bar and do whatever they want.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_heading-to-the-bar-before-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:1ece9cc9-3a45-4e08-8f56-2e3ed3cf2103Post:d4b66d60-38ce-4e96-9ddb-0029b9e47d9c">Re: Heading to the Bar Before the Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]YES IT IS TACKY. There should be no gap between the ceremony and reception so that the wedding party can go to the bar and do whatever they want.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. Gaps are rude.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards