Oregon

Portland honeymoon

Hello all! We will be honeymooning in Seattle for a few days then taking the Amtrak down to Portland for a few days in May. What are some things we must see/do/eat while there? We will be renting a car for atleast one of the days so we can drive out to the falls and do some hiking. I am so excited to visit your city, it looks so beautiful and seems to have some really great and unique places :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Portland honeymoon

• What area will you be staying in?  What are you interested in seeing? Depending on where you're staying and when you want to get out and do stuff, the bus system is pretty good with buses running often and all over.
    Powell"s on W. Burnside is a pretty amazing bookstore with new and used books, the building is 3 or 4 floors and takes up an entire block. There are also fun shops and good places to eat or snack right around there. Nearby is Washington Park that is over 400 acres of hiking, roses and the Japanese garden. Also nearby is Saturday market with rows of handmade items, food and music.
    On the East side of town there are Mississippi and Alberta Street, both have local shops with fancy boutiques next to food carts next to art galleries. And a place to do your laundry while eating really good Thai food.
    There are quite a few breweries and distilleries, a lot of them do tours. There are museums (some are free or have free days). We have coffee everywhere and not just Starbucks!
  • We are staying at the Vintage Plaza which according to my map is in downtown near O'Bryant Square if that helps. We are interested in doing/seeing/eating  all sorts of things from coffee, wine, beer, alcohol in general, food of all kinds, music, movies, art, nature...you name it we probably like it, except sports. Thanks for the helpful tips so far :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You are staying smack in the middle of a bunch of stuff, you're going to have a great time. The bus system here (Tri Met) will take you to any of the places I mentioned and the bus mall where almost all buses travel to and from are a few blocks from the hotel. If buses don't freak you out, you can actually go online to their site put in the address you're starting from and want to go and they give detailed itineraries.
    I'll try to figure out some more "must sees"  but I'm old and don't get out much
  • Alberta Street is a MUST!  It's the Art District, so you'll find all the quirky stuff there.  Downtown of course, duh.  Also, Rose Garden/Japanese Gardens, if you love sushi, make the trip to the Sellwood neighborhood and go to Saburo's - the wait and crowd is worth the amazing sushi!  Look up a random show & Go!  Try the Doug Fir Lounge, they rock.  Maybe check out some of the kayak tours on the Willamette!  Portland is all about the outdoors!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards