Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Know anyone who got married on the Gateway Clipper Fleet??

Hi everyone,

I am new to this local board.  I am planning a wedding for next year 2011.  My dream was to have a destination wedding in Oahu, Hawaii with about 30 people.  As we got further into the planning process the groom has a large family and the guest list just kept growing out of control.  The groom is not willing to cut the guest list down further and we are paying for the entire wedding.   So long story short  now we are thinking about doing it at home in Pittsburgh.  Right now with just family and very close friends we are around 100 people.  I'm considering doing the ceremony and reception aboard the Princess Ship private events cruise from the Gateway Clipper Fleet.   I have checked the local vendors list and see that this is recommended.
Can anyone give more insight on a wedding aboard the ship?  Not sure if anyone has been to such a wedding or done it themselves.  Anything you really liked?  Anything you didn't like?   Any surprises you weren't expecting?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. .. THANKS, Mel  

Re: Know anyone who got married on the Gateway Clipper Fleet??

• hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Karen did!  I can't remember for sure what her sn name is but I know she had a great time! kbielak17, maybe?  something close to that?

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• edited December 2011
    Hello, and congrats on your engagement! I had thought about having my reception on the Gateway Clipper as well...it didn't work out for me, but I think it's a great venue. Like Jenn said, Karen had hers there in Oct. and as far as I know, was very pleased with everything. Hopefully she'll chime in. Good luck with the beginning of your planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!
      Congratulations on your engagement, we can't wait to hear more details of your planning!  Karen had her wedding on the gateway clipper and loved it.  I had a high school prom on the Gateway Clipper and it was beautiful.  Good luck planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!

Karen had her wedding at Heinz Chapel in October -- but she had the reception on the Gateway Clipper and had nothing but good things to say about it!

• edited December 2011
    I went to a friend's wedding last year that took place on the Gateway Clipper fleet.  It was just what they wanted & it was nice that guests didn't have to travel between the ceremony & reception sites.  Some negatives that they mentioned: the passing boats, horns, & other distractions during their ceremony made it hard for guests to hear and/or pay attention to their ceremony; people who were late missed the entire celebration, because the boat was gone.  Overall it was very nice & I think the positives outweighed the negatives.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and congratulations on your engagement!  Deciding between a destination wedding and one at home is hard work, good luck with the decision.

If Karen doesn't come into this post, you should "page" her on the board- title a new post with her screen name like this: **kbielak**  She raved about her Gateway Clipper reception!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a ceremony/reception on there and two proms back in my HS days.

I actually did explore it when I got engaged, but it was out of my price range. Additionally, I worried about the weather and wanted a totally inside wedding.

Although, if you want a wedding on Oahu, I would do it. It is your wedding, ultimately. And Oahu is beautiful.

You say that you are paying for it all yourselves and the guest list is growing out of control. I think most of us have been there (I had a panic attack when it hit 200 people and just laid the law down about it to my then FI). The best way to limit costs would be to have a destination wedding. You can invite as many as you want and know that many will not come. I doubt it would be more money than having it in Pittsburgh, as a larger percentage will be declines.

For a DW, you only pay for the RD and reception costs, not hotel and flight for all those people. So I think you could have it in Hawaii and your DH could still invite as many as he wants.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for pointing her in my direction :)

Mel, I just answered your PM!

Vacation

• edited December 2011
    HI, congrats on your engagement! I havent been on this board in a very long time but happened to log on today and see your post. I am getting married on the majestic on May 30th- ceremony and reception. So far it has been great to work/ plan with the Gateway Clipper and I can try and answer any questions you may have as far as that goes. I will let you know more after the big day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards