Not Engaged Yet

Debate! VS's Pretty Young Things line

Have you guys seen all the hype about this? Apparantly Victoria's Secret launched or was planning to launch a new line of clothes and bras/panties aimed at teenagers. Parents are UP IN ARMS about this, and claim that VS is sexualizing children. I'd post an aritcle about it, but I haven't come across one that even shows these ads that parents are so upset over, so feel free to do your own googling.

Personally, I think people are making way too big of a deal over it. Teenagers have been buying clothes and underwear from VS for a while, you can't blame the company for deciding to market to them. I have lots of other thoughts on this topic, but I'm really interested in reading what your smart ladies think about this....

ETA: Check out the Victorias Secret Facebook page to see what parents are posting.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Debate! VS's Pretty Young Things line

• I think they're making a big deal too. What about the aerie line by American Eagle? Those commercials are pretty sexy too, and I feel like it's quite obvious when companies choose very young-looking models to push their line towards teens. 

I felt like the Pink line from VS was more directed to teens too (the wildly neon colors, sweatpants especially with college logos, etc). Maybe I was wrong, though.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • I think that parents who don't want their children to wear that need to grow a pair and tell their kids no.

Kmbryant - I think technically PINK is directed at college students.

• I think that parents should just tell their kids NO. Just because snookums wants VS pannies doesn't mean you have to buy them. When I wanted special bras or panties, I bucked up and bought them myself. If you're 14 and want a thong, get a job and buy one yourself.
  • I agree with Beth.  VS can sell and advertise anything they want.  Its their business model and right to do so. 

If a parent doesn't like this they can just not purchase it.  If the sales don't budge then VS will be forced to disco the line.  Sales numbers speak volumes.

My parents had clothing guidelines that I had to follow, and I will probably do the same as a parent.   Yes, I would be cranky they wouldn't let me out of the house when hemlines were too short or there was even a peek of bare stomach, but I fully respect it now.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • I agree with everyone else, andplusalso - pretty much every department stoes sells lingerie in the "juniors" section that could also be considered "innapropriate" by most parents. Just, I don't know, DON'T buy it for your kids, or allow them to buy it if you truly think it is innapropriate for their age.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    I agree that a business has the right to market/sell whatever products they like.

That doesn't stop me from being disgusted by the increasing trend toward sexualizing younger and younger children, particularly girls. I do believe a responsible company would not contribute toward this trend.

ETA:  I just visited the VS FB page, and they confirm that there is no line for younger teens. PINK is marketed toward college aged women, and I do actually find those products appropriate for that audience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What Desert said.

I got my first VS thong when I was 14 or 15 because mom had let me get a long white skirt, and it just so happened to show anything and everything through.  My neighbor's oldest daughter (she was college age at the time) noticed I was trying to wear white undies with it, put me in her car, took me to VS, and helped me pick out a thong that wouldn't show through.  It is, to this day, the skankiest pair of undies I own and I almost never wear them because of it.  Do I shop at VS?  Yes.  Will I let my kids shop at VS?  Probably.  But I'll probably tell them if they want to wear a thong at 15, they won't be geting the sheer one with approximately 3" of fabric to the whole thing.

Don't blame a company because you can't be a parent.  What's next?  We're going to sue McDonalds for childhood obesity because they sell happy meals?  FFS.
    I french with my man
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_debate-vss-pretty-young-things-line?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:acdffbe7-5684-45da-9a21-08eee0c11be6Post:b8b1c368-6433-4bd5-a209-21c8a7cfd6fc">Re: Debate! VS's Pretty Young Things line</a>:
    [QUOTE]What Desert said. I got my first VS thong when I was 14 or 15 because mom had let me get a long white skirt, and it just so happened to show anything and everything through.  My neighbor's oldest daughter (she was college age at the time) noticed I was trying to wear white undies with it, put me in her car, took me to VS, and helped me pick out a thong that wouldn't show through.  It is, to this day, the skankiest pair of undies I own and I almost never wear them because of it.  Do I shop at VS?  Yes.  Will I let my kids shop at VS?  Probably.  But I'll probably tell them if they want to wear a thong at 15, they won't be geting the sheer one with approximately 3" of fabric to the whole thing. Don't blame a company because you can't be a parent.  What's next?  <strong>We're going to sue McDonalds for childhood obesity because they sell happy meals?</strong>  FFS.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Society's been there, done that.

I bought a thong at 17 because I had my period during my dance recital and I didnt' want to go commando - she saw it and got mad. I explained that I bought it with MY OWN money and she said I had to wash it separate from the family wash, to which I much obliged.

If you're kid's getting skanky clothes and you don't approve, confiscate them. You're her parent, provider, and moral compass, not her BFFL.
  • I think the biggest hype is that the panties that they have already said are targeted for younger generations have inappropriate sayings like "eat me" and "get lucky." That scares me, there is no innocence anymore for children.

As a parent though, and I am glad I have a boy in this circumstance but you just have to learn how to say no. You can't always be their friend sometimes you actually have to parent them. duhhh.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards