Not Engaged Yet
Options

Would you be weirded out by this?

So this girl that I went to college with, she posted this Facebook status and a link to her website. Here is her website.

Her status says "Having faith that God will provide. Maybe he'll use you? If you'd like to read how God's using me in Savannah and pray about how he might use you to help, visit my site."

I know this girl, she's very sweet and overall just a nice girl. But I feel weird about this...she's essentially asking for money to cover her living expenses. She has different categories to donate money to. Like rent, groceries, etc. She also has a place where you can donate money for her missionary trip to Haiti.

I feel a bit...weird about this. It's off-putting to me. What are your thoughts on this? I feel like it's wrong to be doing that and asking for money, no matter what the cause is. But I guess since she's using God as her reason, to her and maybe to other people, it seems okay?

I don't know. It's just odd. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Would you be weirded out by this?

• Options
    I think she's got balls. I would love to be 'called' to do something in another country, and to actually make a difference. Volunteering is very important to me, but I know that financially I couldn't do it. I understand wanting to 'sponsor' part of her trip, but usually, you are right. Asking for money is tacky.

I guess I'm right in the middle of the fence on that one.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    in our organization, full-time missionaries (which is what she is qualifying herself as) are not allowed to have "jobs".  they rely completely on the giving of other people to support them while they are serving their term.  I don't find this strange at all, but then I see it quite often.  it is true that having a full-time (or several part-time) jobs can really take away from what one considers their ministry.  H and I both work full-time jobs, plus I teach in the evenings.  we are the pastors of our Spanish-speaking group at our mother church.  I know that we would be infinitely more effective if we didn't have to concentrate so much on our jobs and worrying on how we're going to make things work.  we do make things work because we have to, but I know it takes away from the finite amount of energy we have and that affects our pastorship.  it is a huge blessing to those who can rely on financial support in order to fulfil what they believe is their calling.  being a missionary or a pastor really is a FULL TIME JOB.  it's quite common to me to see missionaries ask for financial help...  and it's not easy.  it's extremely humbling and sometimes even humilating to ask for that kind of help.
  • Options
    I don't have any problem with what she's doing. How else is she supposed to live? 

I don't really see it as her 'asking' for money, either. She has her website where you can follow her journey and if you want to make a donation, you can. You could compare this to a wedding website. Just because I have my registry on it doesn't mean I'm necessarily asking people to buy me gifts. 

• Options
    edited March 2013
    You know, I started reading her site all prepared to be annoyed by it. Generally, I haaate when people ask for money for some religious endeavor. One of my former empoyees used to constantly gchat me and put me on the spot asking for money for her missionary trip someplace, and I hated it. However, I really had no problem with this girl's site. It looks like she's doing a lot of good work, and that work just doesn't pay enough to keep her from being homeless. I think there are lots of people out there who would probably rather donate to this girl and know exactly what their money is doing to make a difference & WHO their money is helping than to a large charity organization where maybe they can't be sure what their money is helping to accomplish.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't donate, but I have no problem with how she's asking for donations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've had a friend do this same thing before. I gave for awhile, until his mission was completed (or he moved into a full-time position in a church). It doesn't annoy me, but I would need to know the person and the organization pretty well before I'd pledge.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    Yea I don't think it's weird.  She is doing a great thing.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-you-be-weirded-out-by-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bcf17e6c-845d-4d0f-bea3-6e7fb33afacdPost:c7c2d283-5ce1-438e-916e-0dd005c6f8df">Re: Would you be weirded out by this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]in our organization, full-time missionaries (which is what she is qualifying herself as) are not allowed to have "jobs".  they rely completely on the giving of other people to support them while they are serving their term.  I don't find this strange at all, but then I see it quite often.  it is true that having a full-time (or several part-time) jobs can really take away from what one considers their ministry.  H and I both work full-time jobs, plus I teach in the evenings.  we are the pastors of our Spanish-speaking group at our mother church.  I know that we would be infinitely more effective if we didn't have to concentrate so much on our jobs and worrying on how we're going to make things work.  we do make things work because we have to, but I know it takes away from the finite amount of energy we have and that affects our pastorship.  it is a huge blessing to those who can rely on financial support in order to fulfil what they believe is their calling.  being a missionary or a pastor really is a FULL TIME JOB.  it's quite common to me to see missionaries ask for financial help...  and it's not easy.  it's extremely humbling and sometimes even humilating to ask for that kind of help.
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

I'm not weirded out by this because I understand why she is asking for money. She is involved in missions and like PPs have said mission trips can be expensive and sometimes you would need to rely on donations to go on these types of trips or live a life where your focus is giving up everything you own to spread God's word. It's extremely humbling seeing people do this because we have so much more than we realize. 

At church I'm involved in giving to mission trips that my church and other churches go on. So putting this example through experiences that I've been involved in, God is using this girl to spread the Gospel to people who might not have the opportunity to learn about it as easily as we can.
  • Options
    Huh. I seem to be in the minority here but I can see why other people are okay with it. I guess it just goes back to the way I was raised, which is "never ask for money, no matter what". 

But I do agree that she is doing a great thing and I hope she is able to achieve her goal of going to Haiti. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-you-be-weirded-out-by-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bcf17e6c-845d-4d0f-bea3-6e7fb33afacdPost:10eda7a5-157a-470b-9d64-003d3e7f4869">Re: Would you be weirded out by this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think this is weird.  Using the website and facebook is a low pressure way to get the word out about the charitable work she is doing and garner support.  Now if she was sending you direct FB messages asking you personally to donate, THAT would be over the line for me.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.   I had a college friend that did a mission and originally posted about it on FB.  I supported her and actually sent some money.  It crossed the line when she started to solicite more.   I had already given once, and if I wanted to donate again I would give more.  It felt money grabby to me.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    Kelley, we were raised the same way.  Seeing girl scout cookies?  Yea, mom was the only one that ever bought any...no wonder I didn't last as a girl scout :)

I have had friends work as missionaries before and they weren't allowed to work another job, so I do see how this works.  I find it a little strange to post on facebook, but eh, to each his own.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    I'm not weirded out by it. Like Stage said, as long as sh isn't sending it directly to you, it's fine. Part of charity work is raising donations; it's par for the course. I was a girl scout and a student who had to sell candels and wrapping paper and candy bars for the school. It stinks asking for money, but isn't wrong.

In her FB post she isn't even asking for money, just saying "come look at my site to see if you feel compelled to help provide." It doesn't even talk about financials. And you have to look to find the donations page.

It's like putting out a "support Xtype cancer!" on FB and linking to a main charity. Same difference.
  • Options
    I would be a little put off by it at first, just b/c money and religion are not things I generally bring up on FB.

But, after thinking about it, I would agree that she's not outright asking for money. Likely many people on her friends list are part of her faith community. It's a useful way for her to get word out. So I'd move on from it pretty fast. Live and let live.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have nothing to add except - SQUEE! Desert! I have missed you! How are you?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-you-be-weirded-out-by-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bcf17e6c-845d-4d0f-bea3-6e7fb33afacdPost:d1af7985-c0cf-40ab-8390-aa9ca1181621">Re: Would you be weirded out by this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have nothing to add except - SQUEE! Desert! I have missed you! How are you?
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi love! I've missed NEY so I'm popping in today and may try to get back to a daily TK habit. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm doing great. How are you? How's grad school? Your BF?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-you-be-weirded-out-by-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bcf17e6c-845d-4d0f-bea3-6e7fb33afacdPost:6cdabd9a-8a76-45ca-b566-6b416c640b67">Re: Would you be weirded out by this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you be weirded out by this? : Hi love! I've missed NEY so I'm popping in today and may try to get back to a daily TK habit. :) I'm doing great. How are you? How's grad school? Your BF?
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

I'm fantastic! School is going really well but I'm ready for summer. BF is doing good he graduates this semester! Yay!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-you-be-weirded-out-by-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bcf17e6c-845d-4d0f-bea3-6e7fb33afacdPost:125f9129-ea7f-4a55-8e71-81dc7178c2bc">Re: Would you be weirded out by this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you be weirded out by this? : I'm fantastic! School is going really well but I'm ready for summer. BF is doing good he graduates this semester! Yay!
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oooh, yay Beth's BF! Hopefully he gets a job where you are, right? Glad school is going well for you and that you are fantastic. This makes me happy. :)

</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards