Not Engaged Yet
Options

Running update!

For those of you that care/helped me out yesterday:

I went running with BF yesterday. It was about 5 degrees warmer than it was Monday, and I believe that helped some. I think BF being a motivation/coach helped too. I drank a lot of water yesterday in 'prep' for running, which I should have been doing anyways.

I stopped running immediately when I found myself getting a little winded, and I walked. I ran a little over a mile (not counting what I walked) and only had to use my inhaler once. The final stretch of the street before home I was actually able to give it my very all and sprint. The half-block that I walked back to the house to cool down I was worried I'd need my inhaler again, but didn't.

My legs didn't feel like jello, I was able to catch a full breath, and I got NO traces of what I had previously mis-labeled as an 'oxygen headache'. I'm not sure exactly what did it, but the water was my main difference yesterday so I'm guessing it's that. I'm also not sore at all, and actually looking forward to running again today!!!

Thank you so much ladies for your suggestion (radly, tiger, peek, etc) and your support. :) My running a mile is something I never thought I would be able to do as an asthmatic, let along having (stupidly) smoked for as long as I did. So thanks!!
my blog - for the love of ein
'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81

Re: Running update!

• Options
    Congrats!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    That is great to hear!  Every little step counts, never give up.  Sounds like you have an amazing and supportive BF too, and that can make a huge difference.  Keep up the great work, glad you're enjoying your workouts! 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    That's awesome!  Keep it up!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies :) I'm happy I didn't find myself trying to 'impress' BF or worry what he thinked. It was just nice to have someone with me that pushed me to go harder. I'm going to try to go the same distance, but with less walking today. I'm not worried about shaving off time or anything like that, I doubt I ever will be. lol.
  • Options
    That's awesome news!! I just finished my run this morning and.... Similar to you I don't want fi to psych me out when running so I make him go ahead of me which is ny the safest, but we run on a pretty crowded running path and I have my phone so it's okay. Today, though, I ran without fi and shaved almost a full min off my min/mi time completely by accident! I'm only a min slower than fi now haha. You can do it!! And seriously I don't care about the time but it was cool to be close to fi with his fancy running skills
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    WOOT. Water is more important than we realize. It also may be what kept you from getting sore (the walking at the end of the run probably helped, too). Keep it up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_running-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ecdd3330-af31-464d-b0a0-ac00c05f6637Post:67d308ea-97d2-4102-8237-a3cba25e2870">Re: Running update!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been working with a trainer at my gym who does ironmans. She's nuts and in wicked shape. She told me to run for 15 minutes wile carrying on a conversation (for me its 5 to 5.5mph, so a little under a 12 minute mile). At that pace, your heart rate stays pretty constant and you don't run out of breath. She said that's going to be my running pace for awhile, as it's my "steady state" heart rate. Figuring that pace out has reallly helped me get to where my runs arent limited in duration by my cardiovascular system, and instead I can pay attention to what my legs are good for, and I'm increasing mileage much faster. Might be worth a shot.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

<div>I will certainly try this approach whenever my time gets better, but right now running a mile is very hard work and has to be broken up into increments of running 2-5 minutes each. There is no way I can carry on a conversation even while slowly jogging. I'll save this post, though, and once/if my running improves, I will make sure to adapt to this method for distance. Thank you a bunch for the help!</div>
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_running-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ecdd3330-af31-464d-b0a0-ac00c05f6637Post:3bfa69cf-d72a-4799-b090-51e5364c2054">Re:Running update!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you looked at Couch to 5k? I know some people here have done it.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

<div>I have to say I definitely recommend that app. I'm currently in the middle of Couch to 10k so it has me running 5 minute intervals interspersed with 2 minutes of walking. My cousin started out just over a year ago with Couch to 5k (after 2 children and over 4 years of no exercise) and now she's running half marathons! The app was only $1.00 and I say it has been well worth the cost. I really like being able to look back at my results... like fastest interval time, average speed, total distance, etc. Plus it gives you a 5 minute warm up and cool down for each running day which I think really makes difference.</div><div>
    </div><div>The water thing really helps a lot as well. I started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and I've really tried to work on upping how much water I drink every day (it's part of their "healthy checks" where they have you track how much water you drink daily). At work I try to drink at least two 12 oz. bottles of water (they keep a drink fridge stocked for us in my office) and drink at least another 1 or 2 8 oz. glasses after my run. I notice a significant difference in my endurance and ability to maintain a steady breath and heart rate when I don't drink enough water before a run. I think the warm up/cool down combined with keeping myself hydrated has made a huge difference in muscle recovery after a run as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>Keep it up km! I always feel like I do my best running when I stay consistant.</div>

• Options
    kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_running-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ecdd3330-af31-464d-b0a0-ac00c05f6637Post:b6a5a79f-81c1-4c61-a78c-5433fc256c8c">Re:Running update!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Running update! : I have to say I definitely recommend that app. I'm currently in the middle of Couch to 10k so it has me running 5 minute intervals interspersed with 2 minutes of walking. My cousin started out just over a year ago with Couch to 5k (after 2 children and over 4 years of no exercise) and now she's running half marathons! The app was only $1.00 and I say it has been well worth the cost. I really like being able to look back at my results... like fastest interval time, average speed, total distance, etc. Plus it gives you a 5 minute warm up and cool down for each running day which I think really makes difference. The water thing really helps a lot as well. I started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and I've really tried to work on upping how much water I drink every day (it's part of their "healthy checks" where they have you track how much water you drink daily). At work I try to drink at least two 12 oz. bottles of water (they keep a drink fridge stocked for us in my office) and drink at least another 1 or 2 8 oz. glasses after my run. I notice a significant difference in my endurance and ability to maintain a steady breath and heart rate when I don't drink enough water before a run. I think the warm up/cool down combined with keeping myself hydrated has made a huge difference in muscle recovery after a run as well. Keep it up km! I always feel like I do my best running when I stay consistant.
    Posted by lmhollister[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hey hey, thanks for the well wishes and advice! I appreciate all ya'll :) </div><div>
    </div><div>Drinking water the past few days has helped me a ton. It's really turning into more of a mindset - I choose water to drink now over anything else (except alcohol, lol). It has absolutely helped my endurance. I'm going to get the app today, as of right now I have the Nike running app which helps me a ton. I read up on the Couch to 5k yesterday and it sounds great. I'm just going to have to start out on week 2 or 3 because I only have a month and a half until the Color Run!</div><div>
    </div><div>You ladies have been really great. Peek is making me r-ice packs so I can fill my own 'cause I can't sew ;-;, your suggestions have helped me shave off 2 minutes and be able to run longer. Ya'll are lifesavers :)

</div>
  • Options
    Congrats KM on making your first mile!  I have to say I'm so jealous of all this running talk going on lately.  I've been on the bike because I managed a stress fracture at the ball of my foot a couple weeks ago and then made it worse by running 5 miles on it :(  No running for me for a little while.  I shall live vicariously through you all till I am back at it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards