Attire & Accessories Forum

Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of getting a simple pale pink gel manicure for my wedding versus a regular French manicure. Normally I wouldn't give this a second thought but the venue where my fiancé and I are having our wedding is where we got engaged and very historic so I think the 'artsy' engagement/ wedding band photos will mean a lot to both of us.
Why do people paint their ring finger nail a different color? Does it have a cultural significance? While I'm always interested in the latest fun shades I can't really wrap my mind around this trend- and it doesn't seem to be something exclusive to engaged women do.
As we are taking two plus weeks for our honeymoon I will likely go with a simple pale pink gel (I'm pretty simple and my dress is pretty stunning in my eyes, of course, as is my ring) but is there a special meaning to painting one nail differently?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers?

• I don't think there's a reason for it. It's just trendy. I would do something a bit more classic for your wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_can-someone-explain-the-reason-of-different-polish-on-ring-fingers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:25e0e5b1-daa5-4569-95b5-50d8dde1078fPost:cb102bbe-d880-4f29-8b9f-81dff1a8dc21">Re: Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's a reason for it. It's just trendy. I would do something a bit more classic for your wedding.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Your picture is beyond gorgeous- congrats!
  • Yeah it is just an "accent" nail. I wouldn't do it for my wedding since it is trendy.

I did a pale pink gel manicure and I really loved it. It did start to look a little sad near the end of our honeymoon, but I was surprised by how long it lasted. As a side note, I had never had gel before.

• Pinterest is to blame.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah it's just a trend. Do something more classic.
  • Yep, they are right, it is a trend called an 'accent' nail. I am a nail polish FREAK, so I will confess, I do it, but generally its because I can't decide which color to use :)

There are more subtle ways to do an accent nail rather than have a totally different color. You could do a little rhinestone applique on your ring finger, or do a glitter topcoat on just your ring finger while the underneath color matches. Would still be classic, with a twist. Think: pale pink on all your fingers, with just a hint of shimmer on your 'bling' finger!
  • Like everyone said it's a trend. SOmetimes I do that to mine as well. Think of what you want on your big day: Trendy or classic. depends on your style.

Personally I am doing a twist on the french manicure with a lace design No accent nail
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_can-someone-explain-the-reason-of-different-polish-on-ring-fingers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:25e0e5b1-daa5-4569-95b5-50d8dde1078fPost:4de74877-b645-4acc-9716-d8336471cff7">Re: Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like everyone said it's a trend. SOmetimes I do that to mine as well. Think of what you want on your big day: Trendy or classic. depends on your style. Personally I am doing a twist on the french manicure with a lace design No accent nail
    Posted by mandibride2be[/QUOTE]

Could you describe this further or maybe have a picture? I'm really traditional when it comes to my wedding so an accent on my ring finger is probably out. Thanks!
  • I've never seen or heard of it, but my first thought was it's a good way to ensure the groom gets the wedding ring on the right finger the first time. 
  • I actually just did this for a friends wedding I was in.  I did pink on all my nails except my ring fingers and then painted those with a silver glitter polish.  It went along with the dresses as well as her decor.  I figured that I was just a BM and no one was really going to see my fingers so I may as well do something fun and different.

And yes it is just a trend with no meaning behind it at all except to be funky and "different".

For you as a bride I would go with something very simple in both style and color.  You don't want your nails being the main focus (meaning no neon colors or super bright or dark colors either).  I think a nice pale pink, nude or simple french manicures are best.

• lol I have no idea
  • In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain the Reason of Different Polish on Ring Fingers? : Could you describe this further or maybe have a picture? I'm really traditional when it comes to my wedding so an accent on my ring finger is probably out. Thanks!
    Posted by Mer380[/QUOTE]

Might show this to my bridesmaids - http://pinterest.com/pin/351562314631935544/
    not going to FORCE them into doing their nails how I want but just as a cute and fun idea that they may or may not use. i don't care.

But this is what I was thinking for myself - http://pinterest.com/pin/351562314631414621/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards