Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Running of the Brides

I know there are a lot of ladies in the DC area, so I was wondering if anyone is planning on going to the Filene's running of the brides this year on July 30. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to elbow my way to dresses, but the prices are definately tempting...

Anyone ever gone to any sales like this? Do they actually have decent dresses that are worth the hassle?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Running of the Brides

• edited December 2011
    I have never been but I think it would be super fun just to go for the experience.  I would not go alone though-take some friends and make a day of it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there was a knottie last year that did this and she said it worked out for her. but i believe she did say it was crazy hectic. but she found what she was looking for! i think she had to try it on right there in the aisle.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Boston, where they have the sale twice a year.  I went twice- once to peruse for my friend, and the second time we got her a dress!

It's very hectic in the morning,-.  The dresses all get pulled off the racks immediately and you have to send your bridesmaids/friends to barter with other groups just to get dresses in your size.  Be prepared to strip in front of people too- there are no changing areas.  Most people bring a full length mirror as well since the place in boston is a convention hall and has no mirrors.  I wouldn't go early unless you are prepared to camp out or if you bring a lot of people to help you pull dresses from the racks and barter.

If you go around noon, the dresses are back on the racks, the crowds are gone, and there are still HUNDREDS of dresses to choose from.  We did this when we went for my friend, and we still found her dress with a lot less craziness.  We also were able to use the mirrors that other people left behind.  My friends dress is gorgeous, and you save a TON of money off retail.  Her dress was 4K originally and she got it for 700.  You definitely have to hunt for the good ones, but there are some very nice quality and style dresses there.

I'm going to the August one in Boston just to see what styles I like and may try to find my dress at the February one.  Sorry this is so long, but I thought I'd share my experience!
  • edited December 2011
    I did this for my prom dress. I know a little different, but I had a good experience. My mom and I went to the Filennes near us (which is no longer there) and I did end up finding a dress that I loved and at such a great price. There was a lot of chaos, but I def would do the bridal one if we still had our Filennes. It was such a great deal. I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The prices are definitely tempting, but the crowds would keep me away early in the morning.

I think to be successful it might help to know what dress you want. I have no idea what I want, so I think I'll skip it. If anyone goes, definitely report back!!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No advice other than go for it! Are the prices that much cheaper? DF and I were watching a wedding show and there were actually men running in.. he was like you coulnd't pay me to do that! Looks like fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jenice95jenice95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all! I just found out about the date yesterday, so I don't have time to put together an entourage. My mom lives in Pgh and said she might try to come down, but obviously it was so last minute and she is still 4 hrs away!

MDPHD- I may take your advice and go later. If I don't have a lot of friends helping me pull dresses it might be tough!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • arichards34arichards34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have my dress but always thought this was insane and I would have liked to just been there to witness it!
    sunny days, sweeping the clouds away..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards