Attire & Accessories Forum

Did you buy the dress you thought you would?

I'm just wondering, how many of you actually bought the dress you had originally envisioned when you went shopping for the first time.

I just bought a dress I tried on for a whim to please my mom. I fell in love, but it is the complete opposite of what I was originally looking at. I went from a rusticy lace gown to a very hollywood glamour dress... but honestly now, I can't imagine myself in any other dress.

Re: Did you buy the dress you thought you would?

• I had photos of this Bliss by Monique Lhuillier dress for months. I thought for sure I'd get it. I even planned all 4 dress appointments so they'd be at stores that carried this line. I don't think that any of the stores actually had that specific dress, but I found a dress I loved more. I can't say it was a drastic change though. Both were lace trumpet dresses.
  • No, I didn't.

I bought this:

I had originally envisioned this:

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Nope. I looked like a birthday cake in it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I thought about this a lot before we got engaged, and I thought it we had a court house wedding, I'd get this dress: http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/1/5704361/il_fullxfull.342333892.jpg (but, at $1200, I ended up not having enough money for it). If we were going for something bigger, I'd want something like this: http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/550x/f5/15/0d/f5150da4e872ae29d6416088e3bb91e4.jpg

We decided to get married in May 2013 last month, so there wasn't much time to save for a dress. Most tailors and dress shops in the area said they needed 3 months notice, so I had to find a ready-to-wear or used dress.

I found a used dress on ebay for £90, and I guess it's my style. It's not necessarily something I would have picked if I had more time/money, but I still think I'll feel special and my FH will think I look beautiful on our wedding day. This is the dress, btw: http://imgur.com/a/f2f62
  • The general shape was what I had envisioned, but the detail was not. I had always thought I would get a lace fit n' flare or something with a lot of beading/bling. I ended up with a fit n' flare, but it is relatively plain with ruching and just a bit of sparkle gathering and belt. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I looked at dresses aloot before I was engaged.. I found one online i loved (allure 8966) I didnt want anything too crazy or too much beading or too sexy. Then i realized that was too sexxed up for me and found allure romance 2557. I hunted the dang dress down and knew it would be my dress as long as it looked like  Ithought it would. And it did! So yes I did, but after months of looking online/ budgeting 
  • Nope. I thought I would buy a crazy super blingy princess dress. I looked horrible in then. I ended up with an understated chiffon gown with minimal bling.
  • edited March 2013
    Nope. Thought I wanted a simple A-line but it turns out I look just ok in A-lines; they really don't do anything special for my figure. Walked out with a blingy tulle dropped-waist ball gown.
  • The dress I bought was very, very close to the image I had in my mind. I actually saw it on a mannequin in the bridal shop window when I went to try on dresses and fell in love with it. I tried on about 10 dresses at that store, then went to another store and tried on around 6. But all day my mind kept going back to the dress in the window, which was the first dress I tried on. I ended up going back to the original store that day and purchasing it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • The overall shape was exactly what I pictured myself in, but the details of the dress I purchased were not what I originally thought I'd like. I don't usually like pickups in the skirt, yet my dress had them and I loved the elegant draping it created. I also thought I'd have rouching OR beading, but ended up with both. You never fully know until you try it on!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Mmm sort of yes, sort of no.

I thought I wanted something completely sheath-like, sort of like Jenny Packham maybe?

I ended up with this:

which is still pretty sheath like, but has a lot more corsetting in it than I had thought I would like. It also has a much larger train than I originally thought I would like. And it has more beading than I thought I would like. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • It wasn't the dress I fell in love with online but it was the same idea. Fit and Flare. Full lace, Sweet heart. Ivory. Hardly any train. Beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope. I went in wanting lace sweetheart with straps and a keyhole back. I ended up with a strapless sweetheart satin gown with a long train.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_did-you-buy-the-dress-you-thought-you-would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6c5329eb-201f-43b9-a4ce-74d4ad17c4a6Post:6c75830a-dd8d-4265-a2c9-af8ddfd8c981">Did you buy the dress you thought you would?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm just wondering, how many of you actually bought the dress you had originally envisioned when you went shopping for the first time. I just bought a dress I tried on for a whim to please my mom. I fell in love, but it is the complete opposite of what I was originally looking at. I went from a rusticy lace gown to a very hollywood glamour dress... but honestly now, I can't imagine myself in any other dress.
    Posted by loveteaching1022[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I spent months drooling over allure dresses, and in the end only tried on one lol, really wanted a lace mermaid gown, did NOT want a ball gown because I'm an older bride and wasn't sure it was appropriate.</div><div>
    </div><div>also thought I wanted a ruffled bottom mermaid, bought one way back last year, then we changed our venue and date due to unforseen circumstances and I lost all love for that dress.</div><div>
    </div><div>I tried on one lace mermaid, it was gorgeous but was a casablanca , I think those are made for petite brides because every casa dress I tried on did not fit me in the torso at all, gorgeous dress but wrong fit.</div><div>
    </div><div>The dress I ended up with is a lace dropped waist ball gown, very poof but still have a bit of the mermaid stye silhouette.</div>
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • I'm in the minority! I found the one dress that made me schedule an appointment. They didn't have the dress yet in the salon but ordered it for me to try two weeks later. I tried on seven other dresses and didn't care much for them. The dress finally came in and once I had it on, I knew it was the right dress.
  • Yupp - I had my dress picked out for 2 years. I went dress shopping, didn't love any of them and am getting my dress made for me.
  • I did.... I saw it in a magazine and went to the salon before I was engaged. Then I dress shopped for several months trying to find one to top it. I couldn't, and it was the one!
  • I more or less got what I expected to. I fell in love with the allure gowns that had cap sleeves and keyhole backs, but when I tried those on they just swallowed me whole because it was too much going on. Luckily I went to another salon and found a lace gown with smaller cap sleeves and a keyhole back that is perfect and almost exactly what I wanted. I knew I would never wear a ballgown or anything really poofy, it was just a matter of finding a dress that fit what I wanted and worked for my shape.
  • Yes. I knew exactly what I wanted, and I knew that I wouldn't find it in stores. I went to one salon and tried on dresses just to confirm the silhouette and type of fabric that I wanted, but I had it custom made.
  • Not at all. Didn't want a poofy dress. Wanted a mermaid/trumpet gown. I grabbed a dress not even knowing what it looked liked entirely. It was a poofy, tulle high low dress. Game over. I want to wear the dress every day of my life I love it so much. 
  • Not at all.  I had always envisioned an all lace, open back, cap sleeve with v-neck style dress.  Very slim and close to the body.

I ended up with an all satin, absolutely no lace, one shoulder sweetheart dress.

9 times out of 10, what you think you love in pictures just doesn't work out in real life.

• Not exactly. I knew I wanted something fairly simple and not too poufy. But most of the pictures I found before I went shopping were of lace dresses with sashes. After trying some dresses on, I found out that I really like the fit and flare style on me. I tried on several lace dresses, but ended up with a very simple ruched satin dress. And I can't wear a sash with it because it already has an empire waist with beading.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not exactly - originally, I really, really wanted a dress with sleeves. However, once I started looking, I found that dresses with the sort of elegant lace sleeves I envisioned either only came in plus sizes (too big to alter to my size) or were waaaaay over my budget (I also wanted to stay under $1000). I did know, however, that I didn't want anything big or poufy and that I absolutely didn't want strapless, both of which I got. The first dress I saw on a mannequin in the bridal store ended up being the dress I bought months later - a one-shoulder, draped sheath dress that I really love. It's amazing, though, how different things can look in pictures and actually ON your body!
    Anniversary
  • Yes!  I got the dress in my siggy below, and it was the first dress I saw online or in pictures that I loved.  It was everything I was looking for.  I saved the picture/designer, and every dress I thought I liked after that was compared to this dress.
    No stores in my area carry this designer, so I went on a solo dress "shopping" mission locally just to make sure I would look good in this shape.  I didn't plan to buy a dress that day b/c they didn't carry mine, but I was encouraged to know that I was likely to love the dress on me.  So once that was over and done with, I found a store within an hour of me who carried the dress in stock and took my mom with me to try it on. I tried on a few more (mainly so that my mom could see a more) but ended up purchasing my original pick that day.  I'm so happy with it!
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    I was dead set on a ruffled ballgown. I ended up with a tulle drop waist ballgown. Granted, the dress I drooled over for seven months before ever going shopping ended up out of my budget, so there's that, otherwise I would have bought it as I loved it on. But I couldn't go over, so I shopped around a bunch more before finding another dress I loved which ended up being quite different from the first. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I thought for sure I would end up in something that was a true A-line, not fitted around the middle at all.  But then I lost 30+ pounds and ordered a dress that is fitted through the hips with a corset back!
  • Congratulations on finding your dress!

I got pretty much the opposite style of what I thought I would. I started dress shopping looking for a big ball gown with pickups and ended up with a mermaid style. I always thought I would look chunky in a mermaid but it turned out to be very flattering on me whereas ball gowns were just kind of okay.

My sister who is my height but built like a toothpick tried my dress on for fun and it looked way different, it really did nothing for her. I was originally scared to try on mermaid dresses because I thought I would look awful but I am so glad I gave them a chance!
  • Not even remotely! I thought for sure I wanted this:

And ended up with this - not even white, total different body style and totally different material than I pictured myself in! And it was the very first dress I tried on and forgot about it until the end of my appointment when something told me to try it on 'one more time' before leaving empty handed. I came out of the dressing room and everyone was like "AHH THAT'S THE ONE!

• Yup.
    I wanted a soft trumpet fit, with a keyhole back, full lace and something similar to cap sleeves.

I got a soft trumpet, keyhole back, lace applique, it has a sculpted neckline with scalloped straps. Under the bust there is a satin sash, and a swarofski detail. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards