Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

question re: altering/cleaning sample gown?

Hi Knotties,

I'm fairly new here and was hoping to get some advice regarding my dress. I bought a sample dress last year and it has been patiently waiting for me in my closet since then! As October draws nearer I am beginning to wonder about the process of altering/cleaning the dress before the big day.

The store I bought the dress from does not alter samples in-house. However, one of their seamstresses also alters dresses out of her home part-time. She altered the bridesmaids dress I wore in my best friend's wedding and did a fab job, so I know I will be going to her for alterations.

My main question is whether or not I should get the gown cleaned before or after alterations, or if I should get it cleaned at all? Being a sample, it has been tried on a lot I am sure, but it's on the darker side of ivory and doesn't appear to be dirty (to me, at least). I am also scared that if I get it cleaned it will get messed up! 

Sorry for the long post. Any advice on if/when/where I might get my gown cleaned before the wedding? Thanks in advance for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: question re: altering/cleaning sample gown?

• Options
    What I would do, since you seem to trust and have a prior relationship with this seamstress, is ask her opinion. She has probably seen many a wedding dress, both sample and new, and could give you the best advice in this regard. She probably also has a reference of where to get it cleaned if you choose to go that route--not all dry cleaners do wedding gowns and you would likely have to go somewhere that specializes in wedding gowns to make sure it will be done right.

In my opinion if your seamstress determines that it doesn't appear dirty I wouldn't have it cleaned. Its just another expense in the grand scheme of already expensive wedding costs (trust me I know). Also, I used to work at a bridal store and just because something is a sample doesn't mean it has been tried on a lot. We had gowns that either weren't a popular style or were brand new samples that were purchased within very minimal to no trying on. The main places you would see dirt is right at the top of the gown (where people would be touching to pull up the dress, makeup spots from pulling on over the head, etc), the underarms (for obvious reasons), and the hemline from dragging on the floor. If those areas appear clean, I say you're good to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also bought a sample dress for my upcoming wedding.  I asked about cleaning it and they said to do it after alterations.  The reason was the seamstress will have her hands all over the dress while altering it and could potentially make it a little dirty.  Cleaning it after the last fitting will ensure it's as fresh and clean as possible for my wedding.
  • Options
    I don't know what the right thing to do is, but my opinion is I would get it cleaned after alterations if it needs it. Most dresses have to be pressed before you wear them so you could just have it cleaned and pressed all at once and save yourself the trouble of having it cleaned before alterations and then having it pressed before wearing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards