Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Short dress faux pas?

I am planning a fairly large wedding of 150 to 200 guests. The wedding will be in a small chapel or garden (obviously not with all the guests) but the reception will be huge in a very nice restaurant. I had a long wedding dress for my first wedding and I HATED it! I'm wanting to do a very nice short dress, but would it be tacky with so many guests and in such a nice place? Here is the dress I'm looking at:

http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/impression-bridal/10136?src=res

Re: Short dress faux pas?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_short-dress-faux-pas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:92eebf58-2875-42cc-a164-c0f91b1052cdPost:85182eec-8da5-4091-8104-7e61f1ba75fb">Short dress faux pas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am planning a fairly large wedding of 150 to 200 guests. The wedding will be in a small chapel or garden (obviously not with all the guests) but the reception will be huge in a very nice restaurant. I had a long wedding dress for my first wedding and I HATED it! I'm wanting to do a very nice short dress, but would it be tacky with so many guests and in such a nice place? Here is the dress I'm looking at: <a href="http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/impression-bridal/10136?src=res">http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/impression-bridal/10136?src=res</a>
    Posted by Skybaby2010[/QUOTE]
    I will be honest and say I'm not a huge fan of that dress. It kind of reminds me of a Prom dress, especially with the shoes that are paired with it. There's nothing wrong with wearing a shorter dress, but that one just doesn't say classy wedding to me. <div>
    </div><div>I'm confused by what you mean the wedding will not be with all the guests. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think that dress would work for a garden ceremony.  You will get a couple of people who will look at you like you are crazy, but if you like it, go for it.  Not everybody needs to wear a 40 pound ballgown that leaves them with their own personal space bubble.  Me, I'm not crazy about that particular dress, but I'm not wearing it, you are.  Go with whatever makes you feel best.

• Options
    Well the wedding itself be small, with only close friends and family. We know a lot of people though, so we want to have a big reception where we will I invite everyone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_short-dress-faux-pas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:92eebf58-2875-42cc-a164-c0f91b1052cdPost:85182eec-8da5-4091-8104-7e61f1ba75fb">Short dress faux pas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am planning a fairly large wedding of 150 to 200 guests. The wedding will be in a small chapel or garden (obviously not with all the guests) but the reception will be huge in a very nice restaurant. I had a long wedding dress for my first wedding and I HATED it! I'm wanting to do a very nice short dress, but would it be tacky with so many guests and in such a nice place? Here is the dress I'm looking at: <a href="http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/impression-bridal/10136?src=res">http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/impression-bridal/10136?src=res</a>
    Posted by Skybaby2010[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Nothing wrong with a short dress.  Me personally, I don't like that one.  

</div>
  • Options
    It's fine to have a short dress (but the one you chose is not my style). For your ceremony, is it private? Like you're only inviting parents, siblings, and grandparents?
  • Options
    Yes, it will be a private wedding and the reception will be all out. Well goodness I'm having such a hard time finding a short dress. I know I don't want a form fitting one. I have plenty if time to find one though, the wedding is a year away lol!
  • Options
    I think short dresses are cute. Be yourself and feel good about yourself. Mine was from J.Crew:

Maybe look at J.Crew or try BHLDN, a wedding offshoot of Anthropologie. Good luck!
    www.bhldn.com
  • Options
    Not sure if you like lace, but I was looking at the full length version of this, and I thought the shorter one was way cuter. I'm short so tea length would look awful on me, but try this one!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I love short wedding dresses!  (By short, I mean knee to tea length... I wouldn't wear any shorter simply because I think weddings are too solemn for that)

I tried on a couple that I loved, but ultimately, I wanted to buy a long one because it's the only time in my life that I can wear a big long white gown.  But you've already been there, done that, and didn't like it very much, so go with what you want!  

I agree that the one in particular you pointed out isn't my favorite, but there are other great ones out there!

If you like vintage-style ones, check out dolly couture's collection!

SaveSave
  • Options
    Many, many women are wearing shorter dresses these days. I don't think it's faux pas. Though, do try on a variety of different styles of short dresses and try to choose one that best matches the feel of your reception :)
  • Options
    I agree with RWolff's post--I used to work at a bridal store and that dress she linked in particular is gorgeous and definitely informal enough for a garden ceremony but perfectly formal for a large dinner reception with lots of people. Isadora Ann by Maggie Sottero. I also love that Maggie Sottero's website features a "real brides" section that shows real brides in the gown. 

And if you're concerned about price, I've seen quite a few of that dress on preowned dress sites like preownedweddingdress.com, tradesy, oncewed, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with RWolff's post--I used to work at a bridal store and that dress she linked in particular is gorgeous and definitely informal enough for a garden ceremony but perfectly formal for a large dinner reception with lots of people. Isadora Ann by Maggie Sottero. I also love that Maggie Sottero's website features a "real brides" section that shows real brides in the gown. 

And if you're concerned about price, I've seen quite a few of that dress on preowned dress sites like preownedweddingdress.com, tradesy, oncewed, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Love the Isadora Ann or one like it for your type of wedding. It seems to be more appropriate for your reception and would go well in a garden ceremony location.
  • Options
    Definitely not a faux pas to wear a short dress. There are lots out there that are classy and beautiful. I have to agree with PPs that the dress you posted is really not my style. I didn't wear a short dress, but when I was having mine hemmed at the bridal shop they had this gorgeous tea-length Justin Alexander dress in the window. If I had seen it before I found my dress I would have seriously considered it for my wedding:

• Options
    Ooh I love that one from Maggie sottero!! Thank you everyone for your thoughts, I definitely going to take a closer look at these dresses!
  • Options
    Look up Amsale little white dresses. I wore one to my rehearsal dinner. I think they are very cute and come in a bunch of styles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards