Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress I tried on vs. Dress that I love from picture?

So I went dress shopping this weekend and came across this Rosa Clara dress.  It wasn't much on the hanger, but I loved it on.  Still, it reminds of another dress from the same collection that I've been staring at for a while now.  Unfortunately, there are  absolutely no shops anywhere near me that carries the other dress.  I'm getting married in Hawaii in Sepetember so it's coming up pretty soon and I need to order in the next week or so.  They wouldn't let me take pictures until I place my order, but to give you an idea, I'm 5'1", 105 lb, more rectangle shape so not much waist definition. 

What do you ladies think?  Should I go with the one I tried on?  Or should I take the chance and order the dress I've been poring over? Dress 1:  This is the dress I tried on.  Strapless chiffon with ruffle at bust.  Is it too ordinary?

Dress 2:  The dress I can't get out of my head.  But is the one shoulder too trendy?  And will the dropped waist make me look shorter?

You can also see how both dresses move in the runway video (scan to around the 1:30 min mark, there's one dress in between the 2 I'm interested in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DBxFA4GLw

Re: Dress I tried on vs. Dress that I love from picture?

• I like the first one better. I do not like the "one shoulder attached to a strapless" look. I only like one shoulder if the neckline goes diagonally up from the armpit of the bare shoulder to the top of the shoulder. But that's just my personal opinion.
  • I think the first one is gorgeous.

The second one is a bit confusing to me.  It seems that the bodice was made for a more full skirt and that somewhere along the line the full skrit got ripped off and thin chiffon was left in its place.  I also can't stand the chiffon piece hanging down the back of the shoulder.

Honestly, 9 times out of 10, the dress you love in the picture never lives up to your expectations when you try it on in real life.  Go with the one you love in person.

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    I agree to get the dress you love in person. I looked like a birthday cake in what I thought was my dream dress.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-i-tried-on-vs-dress-that-i-love-from-picture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c52c5667-668c-4b8b-a513-4bd55157453cPost:5ddce99b-a68a-4085-a961-c112d3cb63f4">Re: Dress I tried on vs. Dress that I love from picture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the first one is gorgeous. <strong>The second one is a bit confusing to me.  It seems that the bodice was made for a more full skirt and that somewhere along the line the full skrit got ripped off and thin chiffon was left in its place. </strong> I also can't stand the chiffon piece hanging down the back of the shoulder. Honestly, 9 times out of 10, the dress you love in the picture never lives up to your expectations when you try it on in real life.  Go with the one you love in person.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This!  Stick with the first one.  :)

</div>
  • stick with one you tried on. TRUST ME, what looks good lon a model might not look good on you

esp if you are shorter like me....Dropped waist could make you look shorter..
  • Stick with the first. It is too big of a risk to buy a dress you never tried on. Trust me, things look SO much different on your body than they do in a picture (which you know from hating the dress you fell in love with while it was on the hanger)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would go with dress 1 as well. You sound really tiny and I would be afraid that dress 2 would be too overwhelming on you since it has a lot going on. Like PPs said, the dress you love in a picture doesn't usually work out so well IRL- I know it didn't for me! Good luck with your decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards