October 2013 Weddings
Options

NWR: Vent

So I posted a job listing for a legal secretary to work under me. In the ad it stated to post the applicant's cover letter and resume as an attachment via e-mail.

Half of them the body of their e-mail is their resume. Then they attach their resume, but no cover letter.

The ad clearly states we are looking for someone that is currently a student, looking for an internship, and graduating end of summer or in the fall. We are getting so many random resumes it isn't even funny.

The worst one was a girl that sent me her resume once, I looked over it and was trying to figure out a way to tell her she wouldn't be considered for the next process. I came into work on Monday and she sent me another cover letter and resume, but changed the wording a little. The first one was horrible, the second one was not much better. When I e-mailed her thanking her for her resumes and that she wouldn't be considered for the position, she asked me why. When I told her it was because we were looking for some one detail oriented and grammar proficient, she got pissed.

Her final email back stated " I thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated. I was unaware that my resume had depicted that I was not detail oriented or not grammar proficient. I will take your advice to heart and revise my resume and cover letter. I had assistance from my career adviser and will inform her of the same. Once again I thank you for your input."

Well when your first cover letter states:
"I am sending you this covering letter and resume in regard to the position advertised on Craigslist for the part time Legal Intern. With these documents, I would like to apply to the position of Legal Intern position."

You aren't going to get an interview.

We posted both on craigslist and the local technical college website.

Re: NWR: Vent

• Options
    I hope her career adviser is reconsidering HER job... Goodness. Sorry the applicants are being stupid. :(
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    So annoying.......

• Options
    Hm - I think you made the absolute right decision on that one.  You'd think someone looking for employment would take it seriously enough to proof read their application before submission.  Blaming someone who gave you assistance is in poor taste and not a quality any employer looks for.

Best of luck in your search - some star will shine thru the muck.  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    I agree with both of you!

• Options
    I guess I'm confused a smidge - do you have to respond to people who apply? In my experience, there's no way to respond to each person, but rather just contact those that get interviews.

This girl contacted you, which is rather annoying - but can't you just ignore it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards