October 2013 Weddings

NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?

I just got a call from my vet that my dog's back leg needs surgery. Its going to cost $2,000. The other option is that we dont get the surgery and his leg keeps popping out of place, and we put it back in place. He also said it feels like this may happen to the other back leg, which means it would eventually cost me a grand total of $4,000. What the heck am I supposed to do?! He's only 4! I don't want to pop his legs back into place all the time because I just feel like thats crazy to do for the rest of his life.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?

• Pay it. To me, there is no amount that I would not pay for my dog. If it came to budgeting, I woul gladly give up wedding stuff to have my dog healthy.

Sounds like a luxating patella. Do you know what grade it is? There are 4 levels (I believe) and on the lower end, nothing needs to be done. If it is on the higher end, the dog really needs surgery.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Do it.

I spent probably $2,000 on my cat last year because she "didn't seem right". Took her to an emergency clinic because naturally, it was on a Sunday. Turns out her kidneys were starting to fail. She's now on a special diet (that costs $40/8lbs and NEVER goes on sale) but I would have regretted it forever if I hadn't taken her to the vet.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_nwr-vet-to-pay-or-not-to-pay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:e58536b0-de7c-4df7-a34c-345d136785a4Post:c56d231b-874d-4fa9-bef3-752b2f18234c">Re: NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pay it. To me, there is no amount that I would not pay for my dog. If it came to budgeting, I woul gladly give up wedding stuff to have my dog healthy. Sounds like a luxating patella. Do you know what grade it is? There are 4 levels (I believe) and on the lower end, nothing needs to be done. If it is on the higher end, the dog really needs surgery.
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right that is what it is.... I am waiting for the vet to call me back to explain it to me for because my mother had to take him for me since I am at work. I mean, my gut tells me to pay for the surgery. These dogs are like my children. Its just very upsetting to put him through it and I am so  low on money right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_nwr-vet-to-pay-or-not-to-pay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:e58536b0-de7c-4df7-a34c-345d136785a4Post:cd6a9967-2fec-45f5-a17a-cce1c0555fe2">Re: NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do it. I spent probably $2,000 on my cat last year because she "didn't seem right". Took her to an emergency clinic because naturally, it was on a Sunday. Turns out her kidneys were starting to fail. She's now on a special diet (that costs $40/8lbs and NEVER goes on sale) but I would have regretted it forever if I hadn't taken her to the vet.
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]

Yes. I want to do the surgery but I probably spend over $2,000 a year on my dogs because they already have bad allergies. Its just difficult to pay right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He's only 4 - he's got a lot of life left to live! I think it is definitely worth it.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_nwr-vet-to-pay-or-not-to-pay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:e58536b0-de7c-4df7-a34c-345d136785a4Post:fc9e1205-6262-4eea-add2-1a437d732c20">Re: NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He's only 4 - he's got a lot of life left to live! I think it is definitely worth it.
    Posted by hardlyhannah[/QUOTE]

I agree. My stomach is in knots just knowing what my poor baby is going to be going through... and know the other leg is likely going to go and cause him more surgery....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a scare like that once with Goober - it ended up being something really small, but I got myself really worried and I wasn't able to sleep.

It's good that the vet has been able to diagnose the problem, and that there is a fix. They are our babies - anything to make them better! 

I don't have pet insurance, and I don't know if it is necessary or not. But I will probably look into it with my next dog. Goober is getting older so I am not sure if it is worth it at this point - which I am definitely NOT thinking about.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• have any of you ever heard of chiropractic or acupuncture for animals? I was doing some research and if my dog is in stage two they say that might aid in keeping it from progressing.... It seems to me he is in stage 2, but i still dont know for sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would pay for it without a second thought. We also have pet insurance for two of our three dogs, however, so disastrous costs aren't as bad as they could be.

• My dog gets chiropractic care. Are you in northern NJ? Dr Buchoff of Holistic Pet Care is an amazing vet and can (probably - I can't speak for him since I am not a vet and he has not seen your dog) do the surgery and the chiropractic treatments.

But, they are not inexpensive either.

Sometimes owning a pet comes with many expenses, and you just have to pay it. It's only fair to them and goes with the terrority of being a good fur-baby mother. It sucks, but it is what it is.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_nwr-vet-to-pay-or-not-to-pay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:e58536b0-de7c-4df7-a34c-345d136785a4Post:4a4f2e4a-3ba8-4754-aef4-db6dd4b5e7e2">Re: NWR: Vet, to pay or not to pay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dog gets chiropractic care. Are you in northern NJ? Dr Buchoff of Holistic Pet Care is an amazing vet and can (probably - I can't speak for him since I am not a vet and he has not seen your dog) do the surgery and the chiropractic treatments. But, they are not inexpensive either. Sometimes owning a pet comes with many expenses, and you just have to pay it. It's only fair to them and goes with the terrority of being a good fur-baby mother. It sucks, but it is what it is.
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!! I am actually trying to avoid the surgery for not just the cost (bc my dogs cost more than I do and I am usually the first person to shell out anything fro my dogs) but also bc he does not do well when it comes to medications or anything like that... he usually gets very ill and I am doing research and most dr.'s say to try and avoid the surgery as much as possible because it can cause risk to many dogs like mine who have issues with medications and such.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    All I can add is that I am sorry that you have to be going through this.  I will be thinking about your little fur kid!!!!!!

• Can you even get pet insurance if they've been diagnosed with an issue?  If so, then I would see which options offered the best coverage, get it, and do the surgery!

Maybe your vet can work out a payment plan for you?  I did Care Credit once for a minor mishap at an emergency vet care clinic, which, it sucked paying interest, but I didn't have the money up front at the time. 

Good luck with your furbaby!!
  • yea they def can do a payment plan, one time my credit card wasnt working so they told me i could do payments or whatever, I just paid it in full the next time i was in. So I know they do payments. I am just not sure if to do the surgery and put him through it right away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Take some time to sort out options.  Look into the pet insurance, call a few places (holistic, acupuncture, etc) and lay it all out.  You know your pup best and at his age I would think his body is able to adapt well to a treatment plan, whatever it may be.  

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • edited April 2013
    Well I have some good news..... His leg is not as bad as they orginally thought so we are going to try supplements and possibly knee injections (much like humans get when they have this condition) and monitor his comfort level.... if his knee seems to be bothering him more and more and it happens more frequently we will get the surgery. Right now it seems like it would be worse for him to be put through the surgery.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good to hear!  Stage 2, from what I know, is not in the suggested operate-able level. Some stage 3's aren't either. My dog has stage 1 in one leg, and we were advised to give him cosiquin supplements. If it progresses, surgery will be in his future, but for now, we just need to monitor it.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards