Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

To cake or not to cake, that is the question...

My fiance and I DETEST cake. I mean we have birthday pie every year. We think cake is to dry, flavorless and over frosted and that is all cake, so my question/delimma is, I know that cake is a traditional offering, but is it acceptable to have wedding pie? Have several types offered on different levels, with or without cream, ala mode or not, with maybe a small cheescake for the topper to rest on (the only kind that we can tolerate, though the graham cracker crust is not a favorite either). What does anyone think?

Re: To cake or not to cake, that is the question...

• Options
    Have whatever you want.  NBD

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    You can have whatever you want, etiquette wise.  That said, just because YOU hate cake doesn't mean the vast majority of guests don't like cake. You should aim to please your guests and for many, many guests the cake is the highlight of the wedding reception.

You don't have to spend a lot....sheet cakes from Costco are fine! But I would offer cake no matter what.  It's a crowd pleaser.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_to-cake-or-not-to-cake-that-is-the-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e50f741-948f-466d-b6a9-9d73547a5ec4Post:c84c3fbc-57d2-4c16-a974-00b6168c1627">Re: To cake or not to cake, that is the question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can have whatever you want, etiquette wise.  That said, just because YOU hate cake doesn't mean the vast majority of guests don't like cake. You should aim to please your guests and for many, many guests the cake is the highlight of the wedding reception. You don't have to spend a lot....sheet cakes from Costco are fine! But I would offer cake no matter what.  It's a crowd pleaser.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>FWIW, I hate pie.</div>
  • Options
    Do what you want. I think most guests will be fine with any kind of dessert. I was recently at a wedding with only cheesecake. A big one for them to cut into and mini ones for us. It was a huge hit. I didn't hear anyone missing the cake. I also agree that wedding cake can be dry, so we're going with Nothing Bundt Cakes. Way cheaper and tastier. You could always mix in mini bundtinis or cupcakes if you're feeling pressured.
  • Options
    It is up to you.  I don't care for cake that much so we found a bakery that will do a smaller cake and other desserts.  We plan to offer guests a choice of cake, chocolate cheesecake or pie (expecting 120 guests).  The friends I told said they are looking forward to the choice.  When one of my friends got married she had a cheesecake, krispy kreme donut cake and a regular cake.  They had the most regular cake leftover by far.
  • Options
    We had a wedding cake. But for his grooms cake we had blueberry cobbler. So we had variety.
  • Options
    I would be a little disappointed as a guest if there was not cake, but I do love pie as well, so I would get over it quickly. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    FWIW, we didn't do any cake or pie type items. DH hates desserts. We also didn't want to get forced into the cutting cake/feeding each other thing which we find awkward.

There were cookies/brownies/etc available for guests.
  • Options
    do a sweets table but instead of mini pastrys have a few different 1 tier cakes to offer like red velvet, maybe a chocolate moose, lemond coconut, get creative with the flavors, then add in some pies maybe a few of your favorite flavors have enought pies and cakes to feed everyone you could also do cake truffles, they are so moist and flavorfull and almost melt in your mouth and not dry at all

this is how a cake truffle is made to give u an idea of how moist it will be 
    a cake truffle is like making a cake pop minus the stick  make and bake a cake take cooled cake and crumble it add some frosting in a food processor like half cup enough to make the crumbled cake when mixed look like dough. cookie scoup size balls  fridge or freeze 15 minutes then coat with chocolate 

it will be so moist  hope this gives u an idea
  • Options

You can have whatever you want, but I agree with Addie. Just because you think cake is the devil, doesn't mean your guests, or maybe even, most people, hate cake. 

I love cake. Wedding cake is my all time favorite !

• Options
    I vote for Individual Sized Desserts:

Mint Chocolate Brownies Frosted with Thick Chocolate Frosting

Lemon Squares or Lemon Meriangue Tarts

Pecan Pie or Pecan Pie Squares

Cherry Cheesecake Tarts

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate-Dipped Oreos

Blueberry-Cranberry-Raspberry (some kind of Triple Berry) Cobbler with Brown Sugar Oat Crust

Warm Peach Pie Pops

Mini Carrot Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting  (with a label explaining ingredients - I personally like them made with no nuts, but with carrots, coconut, pineapple, raisins - the label is for people who have allergies to know if there are nuts)

Fresh, Whole Strawberry Tarts with Sugar Cookie Shells

Profiteroles (Vanilla Cream-Custard Filled  with Chocolate Topping)

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mousse in Martini Glasses
  • Options
    No need for cake! And no need to get it just to please your guests, either. Your guests are there to celebrate you, and they expect your wedding to be about YOU...the things you and your groom want. So, each of you think of your favorite dessert, and serve it! There are so many options out there nowadays...here's a blog post with more ideas: http://budgetdreamweddings.com/6450/unique-wedding-cake-dessert-trends/

I love cake, so I'm going with cupcakes. But I did seriously consider serving my guests one of my other favorite desserts: http://www.becomeabetterbaker.com/Recipes.aspx?RecipeId=bc9e6b38-0f0f-493f-87ce-61c316f81262

Lol. Now THAT would be a wedding to remember :D
  • Options
    I would be slightly disappointed if I attended a wedding with no cake.  But honestly, if you both don't like cake, choose whatever you want as a dessert.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards