Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Rolling the dice w/ catering....WWYD?

FI and I have narrowed catering down to 2 places; both will cost us the same in the end.

Choice #1 - Mexican. Fajita and taco bar. Chips/salsa etc. Has liqour licence and has offered to premix Sangria so all we would need to do is add brandy/wine. Will bring 2 additional helpers for serving/clean up etc at no extra charge, just tip them. Our venue recommends them.There was a hang up with their steam table (event the night before wants them to leave it until the next day) and they thought they couldn't do our wedding but he said he would make it work and asked the other venue if they could break it down later that night.  We eat at one of the restaurants ALL the time. Seriously amazing food! But.....the don't do contracts. At all. Kinda weird. I'd be going on his word.

Choice #2 - More typical wedding food. Salmon, chicken, beef, porkchops, salads. Seriously a TON of food. They are willing to travel further but at an additional cost. Communication was painful but has recently gotten better. We've gotten a couple of word of mouth recommendations when asking about cheaper catering. I can only find 1 online review, it was good. Totally unsure on liquor license. We would need to sign a contract next week. But.....we've never had any of thier food. And they aren't sure when we can do a tasting. So we have no idea what we would be getting ourselves into.

What say you ladies???? Anyone have a similar situation? My gut is saying the local Mexican joint, but the contract thing kinda bugs me. We'll be doing 99% of our communication online, leaving a depsoit etc. But I just don't know :/

If this helps - we are having a Sunday afternoon wedding. Outside venue. Mainly family, lots of kiddos. Lawn games kinda thing. Relatively low-key casual.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rolling the dice w/ catering....WWYD?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards