Second Weddings

North meets the South wedding ideas

Looking for ideas for a North meets the South wedding.  Our story is similar to Sweet Home Alabama.  My fiance and I went to the same school, dated for a short time (maybe a week LOL) in grade school, and met again after many years.  We have not set a date for a wedding, but I am thinking a fall wedding, most likely 2014.  He always tells me I am a hoyty toyty yankee ***** (which is a line from the movie).  I thought a North meets the south theme would be fun since it's something we always joke about.  I guess I should have said this at the beginning, since this a 2nd marriage for both, we want this to be as inexpensive and fun as it can be.  We will probably get married at our home, outside.  I know I want the reception to be a bonfire type of thing, but for the ceremony itself, I have no clue.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: North meets the South wedding ideas

• That's a really cute story, and congrats on your engagement.

I don't think you need a theme, since you are having such a casual reception. I think your theme is "casual/bonfire". Maybe your foods could tie in southern and northern dishes? Have something like fried chicken or ham for the south, beef roast or "Yankee pot roast" for the north? You could each choose favorite side dishes to go with your main dishes. You could have a southern drink like Mint Juleps from Kentucky, and a northern ale, or something like.

Other than food, I think any other type of theme is going to revolve around the Civil War, or "Gone with the Wind", and probably not appropriate for a wedding, LOL.

Looking forward to hearing all your plans.
  • I agree to do the North - South food thing to keep from getting to kitsch, especially since you are wanting a causal bonfire reception. 

• Are you from specific areas?  You could be even more specific (New England Clam Chowder, Potato Knishes, Chicago style pizza, soft shell crabs, Virginia baked ham, crawfish etoufee, brisket, hopping john)  so that your menu will reflect you both.  Depending on where you have roots, the foot specific to there will be more cohesive than a broad brush North versus South (which is what I put in there.)

• Thanks for the ideas.  Now thinking about it, I think you are all correct, in I shouldn't get caught up in a "theme".  I definitely don't want a civil war type wedding LOL.  I guess it will just be a casual outside ceremony.  Maybe hay bale seating, covered with blankets of course. And BBQ type foods, then bonfire at night.

Thanks again for the input.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_north-meets-the-south-wedding-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:d173a05d-cff2-411b-b93d-b0c24b79d0edPost:7f62b7bb-4912-4102-87bd-845affc33b4a">Re: North meets the South wedding ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the ideas.  Now thinking about it, I think you are all correct, in I shouldn't get caught up in a "theme".  I definitely don't want a civil war type wedding LOL.  I guess it will just be a casual outside ceremony.  Maybe hay bale seating, covered with blankets of course. And BBQ type foods, then bonfire at night. Thanks again for the input.
    Posted by amymckinney23[/QUOTE]

<div>Please be thoughtful of anything with hay, as some people have severa allergies. Congrats, and best of luck!</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards