Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Korean wedding traditions

I'm specifically asking about Korean wedding traditions, but if any of you guys have other cultural traditions you incorporated or plan on incorporating in to your wedding I'd love to hear!

I'm half Korean and I've talked with my mom about doing a Pae-baek, a traditional ceremony that's usually only held with immediate family involving tea, chestnuts, dates, advice, and a piggy-back ride (yes, piggy-back ride).  It is a beautiful ceremony and steeped with immense meaning, but my mom feels that it is too expensive of a tradition to do during our wedding because of the costumes, silk screens, and specialty food.  I'm just wondering if anybody has done a Pae-baek at their wedding, fully traditional or partial.. if so, how did you do it?

My FI has already agreed to presenting my mother with wooden geese figurines at the ceremony before I come down the aisle..my mom doesn't know about that yet!  FYI, geese mate for life and by presenting the MIL with a goose (traditionally a real, live goose, but now wooden figurines) the groom was vowing to take care of the bride for life.

I just really want to incorporate something Korean in to my wedding without being cheesy.  I'm proud of my heritage and want to show that on the most important day of my life.

Re: Korean wedding traditions

• The geese sound like they'd be a great way to incorporate your heritage into the ceremony - I'd definitely put a little blurb on the program or something explaining the tradition for those who might not understand. I can't help with the Pae-baek though - I've never heard of it. Maybe google and see if there are any ways to cut some of the costs or incorporate it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards