Wedding Party
Options

Options for MOH that doesn't wear dresses

My sister (Matron of Honor) is a tom boy and doesn't wear dresses (literally, she has not worn a dress in over 20 years). I know she would wear a dress if it was important to me but I want her to be comfortable and therefore would like to find some options for her. My wedding is in November of next year so I have some time to research options. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

Re: Options for MOH that doesn't wear dresses

• Options
    There are tons of dress pants options out there, from loose and flowy to structured. Our groomswoman wears men's clothes in her daily life but opted for a skirt suit for the wedding. Ask your sister what she would prefer to wear and go from there.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    As Addie and Kristan say, pantsuits are okay in terms of etiquette, but are they okay in terms of your ceremony venue-that is, does it have a dress code that allows them in lieu of dresses?  Some don't-especially more conservative places of worship.  If that's the case, your MOH may have to suck it up and wear a dress.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Agreed with PP. A pantsuit would be great, but let your sister choose.

That being said, you might want to consider a neutral color dress for your other bridesmaids (navy, grey, black) as your sister would then have many options for pantsuits (if you want her to match in color, that is).

It would be pretty challenging to find a pantsuit in, say, David's Bridal Malibu or Watermelon! Laughing
  • Options
    I would just let her pick out something similar in nature to what she would wear to formal occasions but then coordinate it with the rest of your party. She could wear something like pants, a shirt that goes with your bridal party and then a women's tailored tuxedo jacket or vest. 

My friend's sister got married last year. There are six sisters and they composed the bridal party. 4 of the women wore navy dresses in different cuts and styles and 1 sister wore a grey suit with a navy blouse. Maybe to some it would have stood out but most people at the wedding knew her and it would probably would have looked strange if she wasn't wearing a suit!
  • Options
    And if you are concerned about her matching the other girls, maybe consider instead of a dress for the other girls skirts & nice tops. There are lots of great mix & match pieces out these days (check out david's bridal site for ideas) and then the girls could all have the same tops & the same colored bottoms.

It's very thoughtful of you to look into options for your sister so that she can be comfortable and enjoy being part of your day.
  • Options
    Last year, Julie Bowen (from Modern Family) wore some kind of pantsuit to the Golden Globes. If it works there, I'm sure it'll work at your wedding! 
  • Options
    Pantsuits are always nice and classy, as most people have said. If your other maids are wearing dresses, something more "flowy" (like gaucho pants, if they're not too casual for your venue) might work well too.
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Would it be an option to have her wear a dress for the ceremony, but allow her to wear an outfit of her choosing at the reception?  That way she will only have to wear a dress for an hour or so, and then can be more comfortable and herself at the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards