South Asian Weddings

Invited to an Indian wedding-help!

Hi,
My husband, son and I are invited to an Indian wedding in Toronto in May.
I have never been to an Indian wedding..
What happens at an indian ceremony?
What can we wear? Can I wear a dress like i would for a Canadian wedding?
What food do they serve?
any tips on etiquette?
Thanks
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Invited to an Indian wedding-help!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_invited-to-an-indian-wedding-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:a5f42a06-f083-4277-80be-a22a70df5907Post:c2371595-6c05-48fb-a1d6-688df9155f1e">Invited to an Indian wedding-help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, My husband, son and I are invited to an Indian wedding in Toronto in May. I have never been to an Indian wedding.. What happens at an indian ceremony? What can we wear? Can I wear a dress like i would for a Canadian wedding? What food do they serve? any tips on etiquette? Thanks
    Posted by Butterfly898[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>1. They are long.  That's what you should expect- for it to be long and for you to not understand most of it.  Pay attention at the end- that seems to be when everyone pays attention.  It's okay to talk and walk around- at least at every Indian wedding I've gone to, there has been food out during the ceremony and everyone walks around and chit chats.</div><div>2. You can wear whatever you want.  They wouldn't expect you to wear Indian attire- I never have.</div><div>3. They may only have Indian food or they may have American food and Indian food.  There will be a lot of food, most likely.  The Indian weddings I've been to have all been very over the top, expensive, with tons and tons of people.</div><div>4. Etiquette- don't worry about it.  You'll be fine.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• An Indian Wedding Ceremony is full of colours and rituals. Its a kind of formal affair but with fun and many ceremonies.
    You can wear anything in which you are comfortable. If its a close one, the if you can pull an Indian Suit, nothing like it. And Saree would be even more awesome. Else, anything western should also be okay. 
    Yes, you can wear Gown, dress as well. 
    These days fodd is mix, It will for sure Indian which is a bit spicy but you can also expect some continental , american. Indian Weddings are very much about vast menu.

Hope this helps..

Sunaina S.
  • Indian Weddings are mostly rich and fat, loaded with colors and ceremonies. Indian culture is an assimilation of several  cultures & traditions that are several millennia old. Each community has their own customs and rituals and Its' actually interesting to attend each Indian wedding. 

If you are so close to the family, then go for India attire like a beautiful and stylish Saree or wear a designer Salwar Kameez. Both Saree and Salwar gives a different look and will be elegant. But keep in mind, whatever you wear you should be really comfortable and fit into else. Else you will feel like wrapped up in a saree and discomforted. But it even doesn't matter if you dress up as if for a Canadian wedding.

As the Wedding ceremony is in Toronto, I hope they will be serving both Indian and continental food as Indians as well as the natives would be attending. Anyways don't skip the chance to try the Indian Wedding food as its' a myriad of tastes even though a little spicy. 

An on etiquette, be social. There will be lot of fun and crowd and its' actually the best chance to mingle with the families and have lot of fun

-----------------------------------
    The Kerala Matrimony Portal for finding your soul-mate
  • You don't have to wear Indian clothes but if you have the chance you should, how often can you wear something so different, bright and colorful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards