North Carolina-Outer Banks

beach wedding timing?

Hi!

Planning a beach or sunset ceremony. I'm wondering what others have done in terms of timing.  At first, I was thinking 7.  But that makes picture time crunched and dinner really late (and we have 3 little kids coming). 

6 seems too bright and we'll have weird shadows, 5 too crowded on the beach. 

any ideas?

thanks!

Re: beach wedding timing?

• Depends on what time of the year you are getting married. We got married Sept. 7th and our ceremony was at 6:30, cocktail hour from 7-8 and dinner served at 8 pm. Our photographers really kept us on point to get back on time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-timing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:6b4ef0be-9fd1-4662-965d-78e1df84c7ebPost:92229818-fcca-4548-bfe1-e9d3c3119f9d">Re: beach wedding timing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends on what time of the year you are getting married. We got married Sept. 7th and our ceremony was at 6:30, cocktail hour from 7-8 and dinner served at 8 pm. Our photographers really kept us on point to get back on time.
    Posted by ksj10032782[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! Very helpful to know.  Ours is Aug 10.  Sunset is at 7:57 pm ... </div><div>
    </div><div>just curious - what beach were you guys on? From the little thumbnail photo, it looks lovely!</div>
  • Thanks! We got married at the Sanderling. This picture isn't that much bigger..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did ours earlier (I thin 4:30).  We were married in June.  Depending what part of the beach you're on, it may or may not be busy around 5; we had very few people, but we were on the southernmost part of South Nags Head.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Ask your photographer, they probably have the best input.
  • We also got married at 4:30, mid Sept and the beach definitely wasn't crowded that day. We had a freak drop in temps by 20 degrees and 40mph winds, so no one was really out that day, which made the beach all ours :) Even on a sunny day, the big crowds are heading in for dinner by then, so it's less crowded. We were also in S Nags Head, and the beaches are a lot wider and quieter IMO..

• My photographer told me that the hour prior to sunset is the best timing for pictures. I'm an August bride too and havent figured my exact timing but it makes sense to take pictures an hour before sunset. So I am thining that can coincide with cocktail hour
    yogi Bride
  • We are using a beach access in Nags Head, and have the ceremony pegged at 3pm. We were thinking sunset, but then since we are going to have a few kids (the family I used to nanny for has 5...), we thought that doing it around sunset and then doing cocktails and the reception was just too much. Plus, since we are using Budleigh and I KNOW there is a wedding there the day after us, we have to clean.. And we definitely did not want to be there until 1-2a doing it..
  • mxprincess350mxprincess350 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2013
    We are getting married August 14th in Surf City and have decided on 7pm. Our officiant said the same thing about an hour before sunset being the best time. Not only that, but the tide will be low at that time.
  • edited May 2013
    You might consider the tides as well in addition to the sunset...depending on which beach you want to get married on, some beaches are wider than others. Makes a big difference at high tide! :) Just a thought.

I'm getting married in Corolla next April at an event house, though the ceremony will be on the beach, about an hour off low tide. Sunset will be about 2-3 hours after the ceremony...we're doing most of our pics before the wedding anyway, so we don't care if we get sunset pics or not. My photographer may have other ideas, though. 
  • You might consider the tides as well in addition to the sunset...depending on which beach you want to get married on, some beaches are wider than others. Makes a big difference at high tide! :) Just a thought.

I'm getting married in Corolla at an event house, though the ceremony will be on the beach, about an hour off low tide. Sunset will be about 2-3 hours after the ceremony...we're doing most of our pics before the wedding anyway, so we don't care if we get sunset pics or not. My photographer may have other ideas, though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards