Georgia-Savannah

savannah wedding on a serious budget

I am looking to get married at the end of the summer. I would really like to use a square in savannah as out venue. Can some one share with me what guidlines i have to go by when doing the planning myself and what ordinances i have to go by and etc.
Anything would help, I do not have much time to plan so...
Thank Y'all

Re: savannah wedding on a serious budget

• First, you need to contact the Parks and Recreation department to aquire a permit.  It is a bit more expensive for out of towners than it is for locals.  I believe the permit is close to $500 for out of towners.  You'll also have to decide which square you want.  I do not suggest Johnson Square (very busy), Franklin Square (homeless hang out) or Washington Square (knows as the hanging square).  The city also requires each special event to have a security officer that will cost $180.  
    There are a few planners in town who do amazing things for budget brides.  Their packages include the permit, chairs, flowers, officiant, security and more.  For instance, one I know of will do a wedding in the square for 50 people for less than $3000.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank you so much for the info... can i have the contact info for the company you are talking abount?
  • I'm also planning a wedding in Savannah in August. The squares are so pretty, but I'm debating whether we need to do it inside because of the heat. If we do it late in the day in the shade, do you think it will be bearable?
  • I would either do early in the day or later in the evening.  As late as the sun sets in August, you could do a 7pm wedding and be ok. It will still be warm and humid, but people will more than likely only be out there at 30 min max.  I often see summer weddings in the squares with a table to one side set up with pretty pitchers of ice water, tea and lemonade for the guests.  You could have your programs done to be a pretty fan.  There are several square that are very shaded with the great oaks.  It is doable.  Just be mindful of the people waiting in the heat and do your best to get started on time.  Also, be sure you have the proper number of chairs for your guests to sit.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also never forget, this is Georgia and Summer thunderstorms are prone to happen anytime. If you plan an outdoor even make sure you also have a back-up plan for rain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards