Washington
Options

Potluck

Hey Ya'll 
My name is Amber, soon to be Mrs. Swanson! (yahhoooo!!!)

My fiance and I are planning a very off beat wedding. 

First of all, we live in Washington. Our Location has been chosen for the NorthWest Trek in Eatonville, Wa. for Sometime in October (Still finalizing a date),

Our Wedding is going to be outdoors, (Renting a 3000sqft tent to keep our guests dry and warm) and we are planning to do a Pot luck for our reception.

Each family will bring a Dish that Represents their heritage. our families hail from all over the world (Philippians, Ireland, Scotland, germany, south africa, etc). 
I, of course, will order a beautiful cake, alcohol, water in glass bottles, etc 
Our eating utensils and plates will all be biodegradable, our cups will be recycled mason jars.
Our center peices will be mason jars with water and floating candles, flowers, and lemons etc 

We're using picknic tables as well (putting white or light green as the table cloth and burlap as the table runners.
Our wedding is planned to be very simplistic, family oriented, and as eco friendly as we can get it.
we'll be using more candles for lighting as we can so we reduce the amount of electrcity that we're using. Of course, we cant go compltely electricty free as our wedding will be in the evening. 

My question is, Is it too much to ask our guests to prepare a dish from home or from the venue (there is a rentable cafe that I will be renting out for the evening and 95% of our guests are local) that represents their individual family heratige, write a small paper on where that food comes from, whats in it, and how is it made? Me and aj my fiance are huge into family, history, and heratage and that would be something we would love to do (not only to save money, but to learn about others).

Thank you!!!

Re: Potluck

• Options
    Don't do a potluck. Don't post the same thing on 5 different boards.
  • Options
    I agree with previous posters.  Potlucks are not for weddings, they're for get-togethers. 
    I do like the idea of having dishes from across the world, but Northwest Trek probably doesn't do that.
  • Options
    I kinda like it. I'd be excited to get the invite. Maybe a dish as a suggestion "if you'd like to bring a dish that represents your families culture to share please......." And then give instructions on the note ect. Make sure you provide food, not everyone will bring a dish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards