Outdoor Weddings
Options

How early can you start a dinner?

I am getting married on August 17th.  The ceremony will be at 2PM, and it will not be a long ceremony.  My future BIL is marrying us and it is not a religious ceremony that takes forever!  It will be done within 20 minutes (Hopefully) so by 2:30 we will be at the point of my question..... I am not having a professional photographer but I am having my brother take our pictures using a rented camera (cheaper than a $1200 professional).  The venue is a renovated barn on a public lake park, with the ceremony taking place under a gazebo, weather permitting.  In the time we are taking pictures, do we serve appetizers? There is no bar so having a real cocktail hour is not possible, however we will be having soda, lemonade, beer, water and mixed drinks using our own bottle of alcohol available all night.  So, how early is too early to set out the dinner, which is a buffet of rotisserie chicken, salads, etc that we, along with family, are preparing ourselves!!

Re: How early can you start a dinner?

• Options
    In Response to Re:How early can you start a dinner?:[QUOTE]I am getting married on August 17th.nbsp; The ceremony will be at 2PM, and it will not be a long ceremony.nbsp; My future BIL is marrying us and it is not a religious ceremony that takes forever!nbsp; It will be done within 20 minutes Hopefully so by 2:30 we will be at the point of my question..... I am not having a professional photographer but I am having my brother take our pictures using a rented camera cheaper than a 1200 professional.nbsp; The venue is a renovated barn on a public lake park, with the ceremony taking place under a gazebo, weather permitting.nbsp; In the time we are taking pictures, do we serve appetizers? There is no bar so having a real cocktail hour is not possible, however we will be having soda, lemonade, beer, water and mixed drinks using our own bottle of alcohol available all night.nbsp; So, how early is too early to set out the dinner, which is a buffet of rotisserie chicken, salads, etc that we, along with family, are preparing ourselves!! Posted by donjoe2448[/QUOTE]

Serve appetizers and drinks between 2:30 and 3:30 and serve the meal at 3:30 or 3:45. Its an early dinner, but it's much better than waiting until 5 or later.
  • Options
    Can you just move the ceremony up to 4?  Then you would be done at 4:30, have apps until 5, and start dinner then.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_how-early-can-you-start-a-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:626a95de-34ba-43ab-81dc-2d210218ab74Post:45121f7d-8ad4-430d-bb09-ae69d6d084f7">Re: How early can you start a dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you just move the ceremony up to 4?  Then you would be done at 4:30, have apps until 5, and start dinner then.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]
    This. And if your wedding is in the summer, it will be cooler in the later afternoon/evening.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    These are all very good suggestions! I honestly never thought about moving the wedding time up, that seems like a logical choice! As does serving apps and having a slightly earlier dinner!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards