Just Engaged and Proposals

After 7 years...

My boyfriend finally proposed. In the most surprising and sweet way. I'm glad to know he still has some romance in him.
Anyways, We became engaged April 6th (just this past Saturday). 4 days later, we already have a date set ( May 24th, 2014) . Is it ideal to start searching for a venue now and reserving it? What else should be the 1st(ish) thing that needs to be done? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm easily excited and love to plan.

Re: After 7 years...

• First, you'll want to make a budget. Second, you'll want to decide how many guests you want. And then you can look for venues that fulfill both.
  • Congratulations!
    I agree with PP about a budget. Just know that you might not want to think of that date as set in stone until you have a venue. What if you find an amazing venue that fits your budget and guest list but isn't available that day? I would work on that before going and making other plans for that date, just in case. It's best to have a time frame (like May, 2014, or next spring) in mind and then see what the venues you're interested in have available.

Also, you may have already done this, but you should check with VIPs about that date (and any others if you have to change for a venue). This is mainly family, and close friends you might want in a bridal party, etc. 

Congrats again and welcome!
  • We started by talking about the kind of wedding we wanted, set a budget, and drew up a potential guest list. Then we looked for venues that met our needs. Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for all of the advice! So it's completley understandable to start talking #'s ($'s and guests) now, especillay if Spring 2014 is the ideal time frame we want to get married?
    I just don't want to be crazy. 

• No, it's not crazy, it's essential to be able to stay on track. I'm not saying you need to know all 153 people you want and their addresses. But like Addie said, start thinking big vs. small, indoor/outdoor/church, etc. A basic idea of 200 vs. 25 will be a big help. And then stick with it. Then start looking at venues etc. And again, try to be willing to be flexible to something in your time frame if everything else about it fits what you're looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards