Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Not sure if I should change engagement ring.

I inherited a beautiful 1.75 ct diamong ring. I had the diamond reset into a the exact halo setting my gf wanted. However, I just went to pick it up and, while it's beautiful (mostly because of my diamond) there are a few flaws. First, I think the ring is just too small for the diamond. The ring is thin and the accent diamonds are small. Most importantly, the halo is too small (something that concerned me when I saw the setting) and the diamond sit a little high rather than in the halo. That's something I specifically told them and something my gf told me she didn't want. So essentially it looks like a big soltaire with some faint halo accent instead of a true halo. She will love it and will be happy with what I get, but I want everything to be perfect. I hope I can take it back, but even if I can I'd have to spend another 2500 to get what I'm looking for (which means waiting several more months). Should I do this or go ahead and propose and then down the road ask if she wants to reset the diamond in a bigger setting when money isn't quite so tight? The diamond has sentimental value to me and will to her, but I'm worried once I get that setting she'll never want to change it and she'll never tell me she wishes it were a little bigger.  Help.

Re: Not sure if I should change engagement ring.

• Options
    Did you talk to the jeweler and express your concerns before having the diamond set into the halo setting?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you're ready to propose, do it now. You don't even have to do it with the ring. Or do ask her about it.
  • Options
    I would contact the jeweler and speak to them about these concerns.  From what I understand, it seems they did a setting that was not the proper size for the ring's center stone, and I can't tell here if that is them saying "it's what the customer wants (goofy fellow for picking this design)....oh well, the customer is always right" OR if you did not get what you asked for.  I am guessing you or your fiance selected this setting, right?  Did the consultant warn you about the proportions, but you said you wanted this setting anyway?  That sort of makes it a different issue for them vs. you asked for a proportionally pleasing design and they messed up.
  • Options
    Definitely consult with your jeweler.  They should make it right if the flaws are on them.  It sounds like you told them to specifically NOT do something that they did.  Talk to them about your concerns, and hopefully get it fixed.  Sounds like a beautiful ring.
  • Options
    It sounds like they took a setting they already had rather than ordering one to specifically fit your diamond.  If you expressed your concerns in the beginning and they still gave you this setting, you have every right to ask them to redo it.  A professional quality jeweler should give you a setting that properly complements your diamond.
  • Options
    propose to your girl and tell her that the ring might not be perfect but you don't want her to go one more day without her being your fiancee.  Then you can tell her she is free to adjust as she sees fit because it didn't come out as you expected.  Honestly, with a stone that size, I think I'd prefer it without the halo.  That is a very good size so why detract from it with the halo.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards