Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

ring size.

Re: ring size.

• Options
    I think that you should just be happy with what you've chosen. You loved it for a reason, remember that it's a symbol for something even greater than the size.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    You posted the same thing under a different title in Chit Chat.  In the future, please put XP in the title so we know it's been posted elsewhere too.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Stop worrying about the measurements and just enjoy the ring you picked.

As for being "officially" engaged.  A ring doesn't make you officially engaged.  The fact that you two have made a committment to each other to marry and spend the rest of your lives together makes you officially engaged, not a shiny rock.

• Options
    The ring is just a pretty symbol of a promise.  I think your post can come across as "I need a bigger diamond" but I can understand where you're coming from because you spent a lot of money on something & want the most for your money.  We were able to make a smart diamond purchase due to being educated about what we were buying.

If you're really worried that you spent a large chunk of money on a lower quality diamond, seek out the store's return policy & see if you can exchange/return it.  Where did you/your FI purchase the ring?  Did they educate you about the 4Cs of diamond quality?  Did they show you the inidividual diamond certificate? It should have had all the various ratings spelled out and a good sales person would have explained what that all meant using terms a normal person can follow.

To get a good price comparison to what the retail cost of a diamond should be, check out BlueNile.  They'll give you a good ballpark range of price with consideration to quality.

This website http://www.diamondcellar.com/index.jsp?content=article&menu=16&section=427 can help educate you on diamond quality.  It's from the store we got my e-ring from but is general information on diamonds.  You can gain a good base knowledge of what the 4 Cs mean.  Good quality doesn't have to mean expensive.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    Every time my fiance and I went to look at rings I would always look at the small - preset diamonds because I didn't want him spending so much money since we're college students. I did get caught up in the wants though - no square diamonds, I prefered 6 prong to 4, yellow gold or two tone as opposed to white gold. We kept looking and looking and he ended up surprising me because we had stopped for a while and there he was with the ring. It was none of the ones we looked at andi t was actually from a pawn shop. but I couldn't be more in love with it. Its a 1/2 carat which is bigger than I was ever looking at, and had 6 prongs and was yellow gold. He did a wonderful job picking it out. It was a little scratched because it wasn't a brand new ring but he got a good deal and its real. 

It needed prong work and resizing which cost a couple hundred dollars and the lady at the jewelry store doing the prong work was suggesting I do 4 prong because it makes the diamond look bigger. I didn't care - I work in childcare and bump my hands on everything, the 6 made it look circular AND its very secure. I don't care that it looks small, that diamond is beautiful and he picked it out all by himself. 
  • Options
    I don't even know the exact dimensions and carat weight of my ring, and I don't care. I love it because my H gave it to me. What might seem "small" to someone will seem bigger to someone else; it also depends on the size of your hands and fingers. Unless you're seriously concerned you or your FI got ripped off and paid too much I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Options
    .1 mm is the thickness of a sheet of paper.  So a diamond of the size you wanted would be the width of 3.5 sheets of paper thicker--really not much of a noticeable difference in the scheme of things.  Also, how well cut a diamond is is factored into its pricing.  So if you got a "better cut" diamond as you say it would probably have been more expensive.  My BF just bought a diamond and we did extensive research so trust me on this.

As far as getting "ripped off", you will get better prices buying from reputable online sites than from retail stores.  The markup in retail stores is significantly higher.

If it's really bothering you, see what your jeweler's return/exhange policy is and see if they will let you exchange your diamond for a different one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards