Students

Enjoying Engagement?

I feel like I don't have the time to enjoy being engaged!

I love my fiance with all my heart and the time we DO spend together is wonderful. but I hardly ever see him. We live together but, I wake up and work 6:30-8:30am and go straight to classes from there, he wakes up anywhere from 8-10 and goes to school. I head to work again (split shifts) at about 4:30 and work til 7. My fiance gets home at 4:30 and has only a little down time before starting work at 5,6, or 7 and working until midnight. And I have to be in bed at a decent hour to get up and do it all over again. We try to do fun date nights and things if we can like cook dinner together or watch a movie but his days off are so irratic, and we rarely have spare money to go out. 

On top of that, my college is switching from semesters to trimesters for Fall 2013. My program doesn't get affected too much but my fiance's does. He's going to be starting school at 8am most days and going until 6. That doesn't leave a lot of time to be able to work. And I have student teaching from 8-12pm, three days a week. Which is freaking us both out about having an ability to work during school and get enough money to keep our apartment. 

During the summer, I'm starting a new job where I will be working 40 hours a week and my fiance will be more available to work so I HOPE this will give us some money we can FINALLY save. So we won't be so stressed once the school year starts up. When we got engaged we decided on having the wedding in late 2015 so we don't really even have to start planning (besides budget) until we are graduated.  

but -sighs- we need a mini-vacation or something Undecided

What do other engaged students do to enjoy their engagement?

Re: Enjoying Engagement?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_enjoying-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f2d6ce1a-91cf-4288-9e33-35ea7303ed72Post:2b2ecc2f-538e-41ee-b296-ff2c3c4f0f88">Enjoying Engagement?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like I don't have the time to enjoy being engaged! I love my fiance with all my heart and the time we DO spend together is wonderful. but I hardly ever see him. We live together but, I wake up and work 6:30-8:30am and go straight to classes from there, he wakes up anywhere from 8-10 and goes to school. I head to work again (split shifts) at about 4:30 and work til 7. My fiance gets home at 4:30 and has only a little down time before starting work at 5,6, or 7 and working until midnight. And I have to be in bed at a decent hour to get up and do it all over again. We try to do fun date nights and things if we can like cook dinner together or watch a movie but his days off are so irratic, and we rarely have spare money to go out.  On top of that, my college is switching from semesters to trimesters for Fall 2013. My program doesn't get affected too much but my fiance's does. He's going to be starting school at 8am most days and going until 6. That doesn't leave a lot of time to be able to work. And I have student teaching from 8-12pm, three days a week. Which is freaking us both out about having an ability to work during school and get enough money to keep our apartment.  During the summer, I'm starting a new job where I will be working 40 hours a week and my fiance will be more available to work so I HOPE this will give us some money we can FINALLY save. So we won't be so stressed once the school year starts up. When we got engaged we decided on having the wedding in late 2015 so we don't really even have to start planning (besides budget) until we are graduated.   but -sighs- we need a mini-vacation or something  What do other engaged students do to enjoy their engagement?
    Posted by marquata1[/QUOTE]

Honestly, you're just going to be busy till break or you graduate. I was engaged for the last two semesters of college. It's hectic. We drove to the university together and did homework together. During breaks, we'd find a weekend and go camping. We didn't have a lot of money either.

Now that we're both graduated, my FI is working FT and studying for his CPA exam too. We don't have a lot of time. You just take what you can get, even if that's just doing homework together. Can you get roommates for your apartment? It's not ideal, but it would bring the cost of rent down.
  • My engagement was very busy, between school, working PT, planning a wedding, and getting ready to move to another country, things were rough.  We didn't even live together so that made things really hard.  There are lots of times in your life where you are just busy and don't really have time for each other. I think it is really important though to make time for each other.  It looks like you are doing the right thing with date nights. 

We are pretty broke so we don't have a lot of options.  We watch TV shows together.  Right now we are working our way through Star Trek, the original series.  We also cook together sometimes or clean house (so fun I know).  We also started a small apartment garden that we tend together, that has been a good bonding experience.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_enjoying-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f2d6ce1a-91cf-4288-9e33-35ea7303ed72Post:26dee8a6-ebff-47e9-89d7-b187f9b868db">Re: Enjoying Engagement?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Can you get roommates for your apartment? It's not ideal, but it would bring the cost of rent down.
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We've looked into roommates and can't really fine anyone. The one we did have lined up doesn't seem interested anymore. If I ask to friends, they're all single and find it awkward living with an engaged couple. 

</div>
  • Just enjoy the little things! :)
    I finally saw my FI after a couple of days it's hard i'm working part time during the day and going to school at night for my masters in education. He works the night shift as a nurse and is continuing school as well.
    I say doing cheap, little date nights at least once a week.
    If you guys like movies rent from redbox it's so cheap, massages(yay, lol), make dinnerr interesting ex: pincic on floor, food challenge - cook each other a plate with 3 ingredients but go to seperate stores no peeking !, etc., help each other with work/schoolwork to get things done faster! 
    I like the idea of the date Jar on pinterest look it up - they have cute things like this.
    Also since you guys are so busy always make sure to let each other know that even though you aren't around they are still on your mind so do things such as leaving post it notes before you leave for work or school, leaving a small suprise/present - handmade? since budget is tight when planning for a wedding. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_enjoying-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f2d6ce1a-91cf-4288-9e33-35ea7303ed72Post:c8c7b776-4f7f-437f-a821-f0e1bbaff2a3">Re: Enjoying Engagement?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just enjoy the little things! :) I finally saw my FI after a couple of days it's hard i'm working part time during the day and going to school at night for my masters in education. He works the night shift as a nurse and is continuing school as well. I say doing cheap, little date nights at least once a week. If you guys like movies rent from redbox it's so cheap, massages(yay, lol), make dinnerr interesting ex: pincic on floor, food challenge - cook each other a plate with 3 ingredients but go to seperate stores no peeking !, etc., help each other with work/schoolwork to get things done faster!  I like the idea of the date Jar on pinterest look it up - they have cute things like this. Also since you guys are so busy always make sure to let each other know that even though you aren't around they are still on your mind so do things such as leaving post it notes before you leave for work or school, leaving a small suprise/present - handmade? since budget is tight when planning for a wedding. 
    Posted by mandibride2be[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Super cute ideas I'll keep them in mind :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_enjoying-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f2d6ce1a-91cf-4288-9e33-35ea7303ed72Post:ce209131-2e0f-4af6-8871-00906120f2d2">Re: Enjoying Engagement?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My engagement was very busy, between school, working PT, planning a wedding, and getting ready to move to another country, things were rough.  We didn't even live together so that made things really hard.</strong>  There are lots of times in your life where you are just busy and don't really have time for each other. I think it is really important though to make time for each other.  It looks like you are doing the right thing with date nights.    We are pretty broke so we don't have a lot of options.  We watch TV shows together.  Right now we are working our way through Star Trek, the original series.  We also cook together sometimes or clean house (so fun I know).  We also started a small apartment garden that we tend together, that has been a good bonding experience.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Holy cow, I could have written that bolded section - went through the exact same thing.  I didn't have time to enjoy my engagement until, ironically, I left the country, where I couldn't enjoy my engagement with the people around me.  But I'm looking forward to coming back, only working full time and not being in school (rather than working part time, school full time).  In the meantime, Skype is a saviour.  I just cannot imagine how people survived long distance relationships before Skype - I have new-found respect for military wives/girlfriends.  I don't know how they do it, not having regular contact with their loved ones. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards