Iowa-Des Moines

Iowa Same Sex Wedding Locations

Hi my partner and I are eloping from Saint Louis to marry in Iowa, we are aiming at trying to keep the drive less than 5 hours but are having problems finding a place where we can stay and have our wedding ceremony.  There will be approximately 20-30 guests but we are not planning a reception in Iowa, choosing instead a party upon our return to Saint Louis.

Does ANYONE have any experiences, tips etc that they would be willing to share?  Ideally we would like a B&B and do the entire elopment there but we are open to anything.

Thanks in advance for any help and for reading!

Aiden.

Re: Iowa Same Sex Wedding Locations

• laurelcscottlaurelcscott member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I just photographed a same sex wedding at Zart in Des Moines.  It is located on Locust St. downtown.  Both the wedding and the reception took place there and the couple stayed at a nearby hotel downtown.  Hope that helps!
  • I contemplated getting married in the Iowa City/Coralville area (two towns run together) in Eastern Iowa. I would have done my wedding night at The Brown Street Inn. http://brownstreetinn.com/. It's gorgeous and the innkeepers are great. Being a same-sex couple will not be a problem.  I'm not sure about having the ceremony there, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I would have done the ceremony and reception at the North Ridge Pavilion in Coralville. It's at a city park and the facility is also city-owned. Really nice with very affordable prices, even if you plan on doing a bigger party at home. http://www.coralville.org/Facilities.aspx?Page=detail&RID=18
  • Raccoon River Nature Lodge in West Des Moines, IA.
    Big enough you could do a ceremony and reception for 20-30 people. Very pretty!
  • The capital grounds are free. The Shattering Silence monument is my favorite, and you'd have a beautiful backdrop of downtown. Depends of course when the date is, because, weather is cooling off up here and it would be outdoors.
  • I work for the Science Center, as the wedding coordinator, I would love to help/ host
    you can contact me at events@sciowa.org if you are interested. Our star theater is one of the most beautiful spaces in Des Moines.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards