Maryland-Baltimore

We want a friend to be the officiant at our wedding....

My FH and I have been together for about 5 1/2 years, and we just want a laid back ceremony that is done by someone who knows and loves us.  We are hoping to have a friend officiate our ceremony, but want to go to him with all the information and requirements necessary to become the officiant.  

I have a few questions: 

1.  Does anyone know of a SIMPLE website that explains everything we need to do? 

2. Has anyone done this, and was it difficult? 

Thanks, 
Crystal! 

Re: We want a friend to be the officiant at our wedding....

• Our close friend officiated our ceremony. I think he used the Universal Life Church website and it took him about 30 minutes.

My H and I got married in Baltimore City and we did not have any problems.  When we got our marriage license all we need was our friends name and the church in which he was ordained.

• Thanks so much for the info Maggie! 
  • minsu5minsu5 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Exactly as our mayor does it -- go online and print out a certificate to be part of someone's clergy. Then, go officiate. Unlike DC and Virginia, Maryland does not require a person to register with the state to officiate a wedding. Its either a judge, clerk of the court (or her designee), or a clergy member.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• @Maggie0829 Did you write the ceremony for him?  How did you guys work that aspect?  
  • @onlyjamielynn - No we didn't write the ceremony for him. We did discuss the layout we wanted like his opening monologue then our vows then the ring exchange, but he insisted on surprising us with his speech. We trusted him 100% so we weren't concerned. We knew he would take it seriously and he really did. His speech was amazing. But for the vows H and I combined some that we found online (same with the ring exchange stuff) and we gave that to our friend/officiant. I will add that if there is anything that you really want said or something that you don't want included at all then tell your friend/officiant that so he/she knows. Also ask he/she what level of help they want. They may be like our friend who wanted to do it himself or they may really want your input.

• Ok thank you.  I brought this up with my FI last night that since this would not be my first marriage we can't get married in the Catholic church.  But I don't really want a stranger doing the service either.  Good points!  Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards